Saturday, 11 June 2016

Dirty White Coconut Cauliflower Curry

If you like mild curries, then this Coconut Cauliflower Curry is for you.  

I would describe its between a Thai Green Curry and Indian style Curry, but without the hot warming heat spice of either.  There are spices in this, mostly garama masala (and optional green chilli), but honestly its tame compared to most curries. 
So why do I describe it as dirty?!  

I don't know why, but I was expecting it to remain beautifully creamy white from both the coconut milk and natural colour of the cauliflower, but I overlooked the grainy colouring of the garam masala which made the final dish look dirty.  I then decided to throw in some chard from the garden too - what the heck!
Looking for other White Vegetable recipes - click here to see the White Vegetable Palette for inspiration. 

Dirty White Coconut Cauliflower Curry
Serve 4
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, finely sliced
Optional: 1 fresh green chillies, sliced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon groudn coriander
Optional: 1 tablespoon curry leaves
1 medium cauliflower, broken into bite sized florets and stalk chopped (waste not)
400ml coconut milk from a can
Optional: 100g Swiss chard or spinach, roughly chopped
Salt to taste
Heat the oil in a wide pan, then stir in the onions and cook on medium heat until tender.
Stir in the cauliflower and cook with the lid on to create steam and cook, stirring now and again for 15 minutes, then stir in the spices and optional curry leaves and cook for a few minutes for the spices to infuse the onion and cauliflower.
Pour in the coconut milk and bring to a gentle boil, before reducing the heat.
Stir in the optional chard or spinach and season with salt and cook for a few minutes for the spices to mingle and the cauliflwoer to soften further to your likeness.
Turn off the heat and stir immediately with plain rice


  1. Lol, whatever the reason it's "dirty," Shaheen, it sure looks yummy!

    Thanks for sharing...

    1. Thanks Louise. Hope your having a good w/e, shame its raining and I haven't been able to lay my hands on some veg plants either :(

  2. A dish I can love...thanks!

  3. I like the name but also like the 'dirty' colours as you call them - I think plain white might actually look a bit odd on a plate!

    1. Thanks Kari -yes I agree it would look odd on the plate, but I was still a little curious.

  4. Mild curry, yes please! I love the sound of this and it doesn't really look dirty to me. :)

    1. Thanks VegHog. I guess its in the eye of the beholder, so pleased you like the sound of this though.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You