Thursday, 2 June 2016

A Scrawny Lemon Verbena In My Kitchen

There's not much in my kitchen at the moment to share, but here are a handful of things.
I went to Bristol VegFest last month.  I have to be honest, I ate a lot, but I did not bring back much home with me, but what little I did I like especially this Lemon Verbena herb pot on the left).   The last time I grew Lemon Verbena was when I lived in Scotland.  I haven't seen it at any of the garden centres in this part of Wales, so was excited to stumble upon some.   It looks a bit scrawny here next to the basil, but it will perk up once I've potted it up properly. Lemon verbena has the most enchanting smell, even more wonderful than lemon balm. 



I have some Quinoa Chips and Hummus Chips in readiness for weekend snacks. These make a nice change from the potato variety and perhaps a little more healthier to munch on too. 
I picked up Yutaka soba noodles and udon noodles to get over my noodle aversion.  I had intended to use one of them for my vegan Taste of The Sea Spaghetti made with Seaweed and Sea Vegetables, but ended up using an Italian style spaghetti instead.  
Since going to the Cheltenham VegFest and Bristol Vegfest where D had at both times the Vegan Sushi Roll, he has been hinting to me big time to make some sushi at home.  The last time I made sushi was again when we lived in Scotland and way before I started this blog.  I had got the knack of rolling it too and was making it almost on a monthly basis then. Anyway, he has planted the idea in my head that I want some sushi too, so I have picked up some of the ingredients: Yutaka Sushi Nori and a tube of Wasabi.  I have yet to pick up Sushi rice and ginger pickle and then roll on baby...
I do love Kimchi and am planning on making a vegetarian - vegan version at home so have picked up a small tub of Korean Gochujang Sauce, however I still need some Korean chilli powder.  A colleague at work said he would give me a small pot from his kilo of Korean chilli powder that he ordered over the internet, except he has been rather begrudging as that was well over two months ago and I have asked a couple of times since.  I think I will take that as a message he doesn't wish to share with me and track some down myself when I go to the bigger cities or when I go Bristol again.  
I like making my own cornbread from scratch using my sweetcorn shaped tins, but with a new Marks & Spencers stall opening in the town where I work, I have been going there every second day for inspiration and have been pretty tempted by some of the Spirit of Summer products, but I have resisted bringing home only the Cornbread Mix which I baked and sliced and served with a bowl of Red and Black Chilli.  It made a nice change from a tortilla - burrito style meal.  This Red and Black Chilli Bowl is made with the Romero Red Peppers shown and black turtle beans (below). 
 I have some Pepper Paste to spread on tortilla wraps for work lunches. Its a big jar, so once opened I will have to use it up pretty quickly.  I may even make some Red Pepper Hummus with it.
The Red and Black Chilli was made with Suma Organic Black Beans shown here.  I also have some white Organic Butter Beans.
I am excited that my kitchen cupboards are full with cans of young green jackfruit.  I will be making some curry, but D loves my vegan BBQ Pulled 'Pork', so that will be on the menu, hopefully this weekend. 
And finally, a big stash of Coconut Flour that I got from Costco.  I have made some recipes with it, but if anyone has any other recipe suggestion - please do share.  Its expensive stuff and I don't want to waste it.  I am sharing this post with  Maureen of The Orgasmic Chef. 

20 comments:

  1. There's a whole lot of goodness happening in your kitchen this month - I've never seen canned jackfruit before but I've had it in curries and loved it. Will have to check out your pulled 'pork recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. Perhaps I will make a curry with it this w/e, but D my husband will insist on the BBQ pulled 'pork'.

      Delete
  2. We have some shared brands :-) I buy those soba noodles, nori wraps and that coconut flour too! I wish I had your stockpile of jackfruit though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it in a Bangladeshi shop, managed to lug it to the office at work and then got D to pick me up from work as there was no way I was carrying 12 tins home on the bus and then from the bus stop walk home. I am pleased with my stock too, makes me feel smug! I'd share with you if you were near though, honest I would

      Delete
  3. Hi Shaheen, whicj part of the valleys are you in? The Morrisons & Sainsburys near me both have sushi rice & I think the ginger pickle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara, yes I found some in Sainsburys. Where abouts do you live in the Welsh valleys, I am more Caerphilly way.

      Delete
    2. Me too! I'm from Ystrad Mynach originally, living slightly further up from there now. Without giving too much away, where are you?

      Delete
    3. Without giving too much away (never know about stalkers :), more Blackwood direction. I look at your picture in your avatar and I do wonder if our paths have crossed somewhere - you never know. Living around these parts I frequent Newport, Cardiff and Caerphilly a bit, so who knows.

      Delete
  4. I love the smell of lemon verbena - and I never see it anywhere. I need to get me some seeds and give it a grow! I'm a big fan of those Hummus Chips too - the dill flavour are great. Looking forward to seeing more of the sushi experiments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its one of the best smells I think, I hope you find the herb, but if not the seeds. I went to a conference recently where they catered for you, as a veggie i get really bored of cheese option, so I wrote down vegan. i was given a roasted veg wrap with a big bag of these crisps, now i have two! I haven't had the dill ones, so will have to seek them out.

      Delete
  5. Your basil looks very healthy so I am sure you will work wonders with the lemon verbena. Good luck with the noodles and sushi - I haven't made sushi for a while and need to get back into doing it for sylvia's lunch - though she has just rice - getting the fillings rolled in is a little trickier. And lots of interesting ingredients - I really liked the look of a coconut brownie on Bitesixed thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed the lemon verbena survives in my home. Yes, sushi is popular in my home but I haven't made it in a long while and now its on my to do list - so lets hope before June ends I make some, one man will be very happy in my house. Good to know sylvia eats sushi even it it is just rice and seaweed skin

      Delete
  6. I hope you have some fun using all of that up. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e. I hope so too. Sushi on the menu soon though.

      Delete
  7. Shaheen, your kitchen is full of intriguing tastes and aromas and ideas! I've never made sushi, but your wasabi is beckoning my taste buds, and your Red & Black Chili with cornbread is near and dear to my heart. (A favorite dish in this region.) Also, I've only read about Lemon Verbena in novels -- neat to see an actual plant! :) It will thrive under your TLC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Kim. I actually made veggie sushi over the w/e, so will share in the next few days.
    I do hope the Lemon Verbena will thrive under my mitts, I neglected the first one when I lived in Scotland, hopefully more tlc this time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen the Korean chilli paste in a couple of other IMK posts Shaheen, it must be a sign for me to get some - I love my Asian cuisine, it's what I cook a lot at home & on the blog but I have not yet got any in my pantry! We have similar homes chips in Oz but I haven't tried quinoa chips yet. What have you used your coconut flour for? I'm also interested to start cooking with it :) Lovely goodies for #IMK this month, see you soon My husband & your husband could be great friends - if we didn't live in a two bedroom apartment, he'd have a guitar in every room for inspiration Francesca. My hubby would love your husbands guitar in your photo - stunning! Your pumpkins look amazing - great recipe tips for using pumpkin too :) Thanks for some beautiful goodies for #IMK this month, see you soon xx
    https://missfoodfairy.com/2016/06/08/in-my-kitchen-june-2016/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you miss food fairy. Def. a sign that Korean food is in the limelight.

    I've yet to use the coconut flour, but the last recipe was for bliss balls.
    PS I think the last bit of your comment is not for me :) no worries,

    ReplyDelete
  11. That lemon verbena plant is very deceiving, my own plants get quite large. I also love the herb in teas or in sauces. I am not familiar with jackfruit and will have to do some googling. Great things happening in your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz. I am excited about the lemon verbena and yeph, tea is one way to enjoy it - do hope my grow large as the leaves has always been small in the past.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You