Tuesday, 7 June 2016

vegan Summer Vegetable Sushi Rolls

Since going to the Cheltenham VegFest and Bristol Vegfest where D had the vegan Sushi Roll options both times, he has been hinting to me big time to make some veggie sushi at home. The last time I made sushi was when we lived in Scotland and way before I started this blog in 2009. I had got the knack of perfectly hand rolling sushi too and was making them almost on a monthly basis then. Anyway, he had planted the idea in my head that I also ended up wanting some sushi too.  

Finally, I managed to find all the the essential ingredients in the Welsh valleys:  Sushi Nori  - Seaweed paper, Sushi Rice, Rice Wine vinegar, Wasabi paste and pickled ginger and was ready to get my fingers sticky and get rolling.  This weekend whilst most of my neighbours were having sizzling BBQ's, we had light veggie Summer vegetable sushi rolls served elegantly on my special deep blue sushi plate.  
I learned how to make veggie sushi with my American best friend Leah (an exchange student) when we were both at the University of Glasgow in the mid 1990s.  Years later, she sent me this book on making Sushi, although it was not a vegetarian cookbook, it introduced me to other sushi rolling techniques like Inside Out sushi and other variations, this is when I became aware - sushi did not always have to be made with just fish or seafood either and vegetable variations were just as delicious.  

Well I have to admit, I am a little out of practise as the first couple I rolled out were not packed generously enough; and trust D to take a picture of the one that was not the prettiest or plumpest either. These sharp sweet vinegared dressed sushi rice rolls filled with bright summer coloured raw vegetables tasted wonderful though and it brought back flashes of good memories of giggling with Leah in our student accommodation. 
I love serving my vegan sushi rolls  with pink ginger, tamari or soy sauce and wasabi.  I also served it alongside some soft slithers of avocado, though if you wish, you could also incorporate this into the sushi itself.  

I  am sharing this with Inheritance Recipes co hosted by Solange at Pebble Soup and Coffee and Vanilla as making sushi brings back memories of my best friend Leah;  and Healthy Vegan Fridays hosted by Kimmy over at Rock My Vegan Socks 
Vegan Summer Sushi Rolls 
Makes 5 roll
250g sushi rice
330ml water
3 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 teaspoon salt

5 Roasted Seaweed - Yutaka Sushi Nori sheets
Ready made wasabi
This is not a sponsored blog post

For the filling
1/2 red pepper, cored and sliced into matchsticks
1/2 yellow pepper, cored and sliced into matchsticks
1 courgett, sliced into matchsticks
1 carrots, peeled and  sliced into matchsticks
Optional: 1 sweet potato, peeled and sliced into matchsticks and cooked in the oven with a little oil until tender or raw
Optional: asparagus spears, parboiled or raw
4 spring onions, greens only. sliced in half
1/2 cucumber, sliced into long matchsticks
Method
Wash the sushi rice in a bowl and wash to remove the starch in cold water, about 3 - 4 times, then drain the rice with a sieve, then transfer to a pot with a tight fitting lid.
Add 330ml water and bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and allow to simmer with the lid on for 10 minutes.
Turn off the heat and allow to stand for 30 minutes, do not open the lid.
While the rice is cooling.
In a small pan, heat the the rice vinegar, sugar and salt until the sugar has completely melted, then stir this gently into the cooked rice, trying not to damage the grains.
Allow the rice to cool completely before attempting to make your sushi rolls
Method making simple sushi rolls
Lay the nori sheet on the sushi rolling mat. Wet your hands with a little cold water, then take handfuls of rice (2 - 3 tablespoons)  in your hand and make into a log shape.  Put the rice in the centre or the nori sheet.
Using your fingers spread evenly as you go along, leaving about 1/2 inch from the top end.
Then squeeze a little layer of wasabi paste down the middle of the rice.
Then select and arrange the filling (vegetable selection) across the rice, on top of the wasabi.
Pick the mat from the near side and ensure the filling remains in place with your fingers.
Then lift the top edge of the mat. Press and roll the cylinder slightly and keep rolling gently.  
The join should be underneath so it will stick.
When you get to the edge without any rice, coat with a little water and then continue to roll into a tight compact roll.
Remove from the mat and wrap in cling film until you are ready to serve.
Then simply remove clingfilm, slice and serve with accompaniments.  

24 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, I'm planning to attempt sushi for the first time this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry if its not perfect the first time, practice makes perfect. Happy sushi rolling

      Delete
  2. These look great and just perfect for the warmer weather. I wish I wasn't too lazy to make vegan sushi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The right day will come when you will be motivated to make some.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for linking to us this month. This is what we love about #inheritancerecipes: the diversity. I love sushi but I never had the opportunity to make any, you are so lucky to have learnt the skills from a friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Solange, I am indeed lucky to have such a wonderful person in my life. Just wish she did not live so far, imagine all the other goodness in my kitchen if only she was near

      Delete
  4. I love sushi so am pleased to see you are enjoying it - making your own is lovely as the ones we find everywhere in melbourne can be a little tired (I don't think the UK sells is as widely as we do here) - and the photos are lovely esp on that gorgeous plate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. Now that I have started again, I hope to continue to make it a regular thing in my home. Your right, its not popular in the UK, so making it at home is the way to go - the plate came from the US from a Oriental store. I chose it with Leah when i was there many years ago, so I treasure it more for sentimental value than looks.

      Delete
  5. Your sushi is so beautifully neat! Mine is always a bit chaotic in appearance :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your so kind Kari, its not perfect - but hey, its been a while since i made some at home. I am sure yours are not that chaotic.

      Delete
  6. Yummy...I definitely need to make some sushi...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa, yes - you must

      Delete
  7. Your sushi looks amazing! And the vegfests sound like so much fun!

    I went to a sushi making class in NYC about 2 years ago but have yet to use my skills! You have inspired me to give it a try soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mary Ellen. I hope you get to make some soon.

      Delete
  8. I think your sushi rolls look beautiful - incredible bright colours! I've had massive sushi cravings of late - I wonder if it's the warmer weather? Any excuse to get the sushi rolling mat out is good with me though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your very kind Joey, I do think its the weather. I am hoping to make some more again!

      Delete
  9. I think your sushi looks rather great! Much better than mine does ;p I love the flavours. I should try and track down some pink ginger.
    Thanks so much for sharing this at Healthy Vegan Fridays! I'm pinning & sharing =) Have a great week, Shaheen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kimmy. I am hoping to make some more this w/e.

      Delete
  10. I love Sushi, but have never actually got round to making it! Sounds pretty easy..... Maybe I should give it a go!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, I think it is - but it takes a bit of practice with the rolling. You should def. give it a go!

      Delete
  11. They look amazing!! I haven't made sushi in ages, thanks for the reminder and for sharing this with Inheritance Recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot, I am hoping to make some more this weekend.

      Delete
  12. I would so love to be able to make sushi, I spend a fortune buying them sometimes daily. You are an inspiration as always. thank you for linking up to Inheritance Recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, you should give them a go some day.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You