Saturday, 9 May 2015

Black Soba Noodles with Miso Dressed Vegetables and Edamame Beans

The day started quite bleak -weather wise, but the sun did come out - we went into the city of Cardiff today.  D wanted a new pair of shoes for work and I had to been given responsibility to pick up a Birthday present for a colleague at work.  
When we got home, a little hungry - I decided to put together a noodle salad style dish.  I've been seeing raw rainbow salads appearing both in cookbooks and on blogosphere.  Many of these rainbow salads are made with shredded purple cabbage and grated carrot, a bit like a sesame seed coleslaw really, but without the mayonnaise dressing. 

I decided to make something along the same lines, but wanted to incorporate these Geo edamame beans and some black soba noodles. 
I've had black soba noodles once before, thanks to a vegan food swap  when the lovely Claire who blogs over at Great Vegan Expectations sent me some.  I never got round to posting the recipe on my blog, so this new one is dedicated to the lovely Claire.   
Its not much of a recipe, but here are the ingredients for you to play with and adapt to taste. I am sharing this noodle dish with Pasta Please an idea of Tinned Tomatoes and hosted this month by Jen's Food; and No Croutons Required co- hosted by Lisa's Kitchen and Tinned Tomatoes; and My Legumes Love Affair #83 hosted by Nupur at The Veggie Indian and Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen and The Well Seasoned Cook.  
Black Soba Noodles with Miso Dressed Vegetables and Edamame Beans 
Serves 4 - 6 depending on how much you put on your plate
A couple of large carrots, grated
Quarter of a large red cabbages, finely sliced
1 packet of soba noodles, cooked according to packet instructions
250g edamame beans, cooked from frozen or from a can
2 teaspoons of black and white sesame seeds, toasted for garnish
Optional: fresh chive, sliced for garnish
For the Black Noodle Salad and Edamame Beans
In a large bowl, with your hands mix the grated vegetables so well combined, then mix in the cooked soba noodles along with the edamame beans.
Transfer to a large plate, then scatter over the toasted sesame seeds and chives.
Finally generously drizzle over the miso dressing. Tuck in. Eat warm or cold. For the miso dressing
4 tablespoons miso paste
2 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 teaspoon maple syrup
2 tablespoon tahini sauce
Blend all the dressing ingredients in a food processor.
Inspired by this recipe 

As a member of the Suma Bloggers Network, I will receive a selection of complimentary products every two months, to use in recipe development and will blog original recipes for the Network. 


  1. Lovely and colourful dish, I also like the black noodles!

    1. Thank you VegHog. They certainly are different.

  2. What a colorful and nutritious dish! Love It!

    1. Thank you so much. I am pleased that you like it, it was very interesting.

  3. Gorgeous salad. Thanks so much for sharing with NCR this month. Your contributions are always appreciated.

    1. Thank you so much Lisa, I would participate every month - but sometime s life gets in the way. Looking forward to the round up soon.

  4. So lovely and colourful, the black noodles look great mixed with the vibrant veg. Thanks for joining in with Pasta Please :)

  5. Love the color of the soba noodles and the dish you made with them. I wish I could taste some.

    1. Thank you Simona, I'd be happy to share them.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You