Friday, 22 May 2015

Ethiopian Eritrean Inspired Zigni Vegetable Broth

And to be more specific the vegetables in this Ethiopian and Eritrean Inspired Zigni Broth are spinach and sweet potatoes, as I had neither pumpkin or squash to hand to make the more familiar D'ba Zigni.  
Like the Spaghetti Zigni , the recipe for this D'ba Zigni also comes from Celia BrookWorld Vegetarian Classics.
I think this dish could benefit from being made a day in advance as the brothy liquid could infuse the sweet potatoes more deeply.  

Ideally this broth should have been served with Injera - Sourdough Flatbread, but I served it with Basmati rice, after all this was a relatively quick after work meal.  I did however, make the fiery Berbere Hot Spice Blend at home from scratch (pictured below).

Once again, this is a really simple recipe and can be found in Celia BrookWorld Vegetarian Classics and if you can't get your hands on the cookbook (and why not), then watch this. 
Here Celia Brooks demonstrates making the original D'ba Zigni recipe.  Once again, the only thing that I did differently was substitute the pumpkin with sweet potatoes and added some shredded spinach and a little extra water whilst it was simmering.  


  1. Mmmm, this sounds fantastic and looks wonderful. Your photos are always so tempting! A brilliant entry for the latest Spice Trail challenge. Thanks so much for linking up :)

    1. Thank you Vanesther, it truly was good.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You