Monday, 18 May 2015

Wild Garlic, Black Garlic and White Garlic Cake

Before I  begin this blog post, I must make it clear that this is not sweet cake, it is a savoury one and one with lots of  oomf!
Some of you will remember that I had foraged for some wild garlic last week, well this is the seasonal recipe that I made, but I also decided to stir in some Black Garlic and fresh white garlic. This Three Garlic Savoury Cake is based on the Broccoli Cake that I made last month.
The wild garlic added herbiness and colour, the black garlic added an unexpected surprise sweetness and welcome balsamic zingness, as well as charcoal studded teardrops here and there. And finally, the white garlic, invisible to the eye but it was there in that warming flavour.  All three added fragrance that was undeniably garlic!

This Three Garlic Cake was good both cold or warm which makes it great for lunch boxes.
Wild Garlic, Black Garlic and White Garlic  Cake
Makes 1 x 8 inch round cake 
Serves a lot of people as a nibble
100g wild garlic, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
8 black garlic cloves, sliced in half
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 medium eggs
120g plain flour
11/2 teaspoon baking powder
100g feta cheese, chopped into cubes
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: for garnish - wild garlic flowers
Grease a 8 inch round cake tin with the oil.
In a bowl, whisk the eggs, then sift in the flour and baking powder, salt and pepper, then stir in the feta cheese, wild garlic, black garlic and the sliced white garlic and combine lightly.  
Do not over stir.
Scrape into the cake tin.
Bake in the oven, as mark 6/200oc for 35 - 40 minutes, or until the cake is golden and firm to the touch.  Allow to cool for 30 minutes before removing from the tin and slicing.  Optional: Garnish with wild garlic flowers.


  1. I love savoury cakes and this one is just brilliant and unusual. I wish I could find some wild garlic!

    1. I hope you find some, the season is ending now though - so maybe next year, took me years before a tracked down a place first in Scotland and now in Wales.

  2. this looks really delicious. I love the idea of savoury cakes and it seems a great and innovative way to use your wild garlic

    1. Thank you Johanna, yes I've made hummus, bread and other recipes in the past - so was looking for something more different to do with it, it was good.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You