Wednesday, 20 May 2015

Wild Stinging Nettle Hummus

I've declared in the past that nettles are my favourite weed to eat and I mean it.

In the past I've made Nettle Risotto, Nettle Gnocchi, Nettle Tortilla and many others, but this time round as my harvest was very small (from the garden), I made a small bowl of Nettle Hummus.  
I actually made it this rather green  Nettle Hummus at the weekend as an evening nibble to be enjoyed with a glass of red wine.  Normally I would serve hummus with home-made pitta chips or crispy chunky bread, but this time round it was with some rather posh crackers that had quinoa, spelt and poppy seeds.
Even though we enjoyed the green nettle hummus with these crackers, we still had some hummus left over and were able to use it as a spread in our sandwiches in place of butter. Other than having a bit of a garlic breath, the sandwich was good.



Previously shared Hummus Recipes on my blog
Carrot Hummus - July 2014
Beetroot Hummus - February 2013
Wild Garlic Hummus April 2011 
Traditional Hummus January 2010 
I am sharing this rather green frugal recipe made with wild foraged weeds and a can of chickpeas with Credit Crunch Munch initiated by Fab Food For All and Fuss Free Flavours.   This month it is hosted by Baking Queen 74 ; and No Waste Food Challenge hosted this month by Elizabeths Kitchen Diary
Wild Nettle  Hummus
Your will need
Ingredients
A good bowl full of nettles, stripped from the stalk, washed and then blanched in simmering water for a few minutes.  Drain, set aside.  When cool, squish out as much water as you can with your hands.
1 x 400g tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cloves of garlic
Juice of a lemon
Olive oil
1 teaspoon Tahini
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
In a food processor blend all the ingredients to taste.


8 comments:

  1. Hi Shaheen,
    This sounds delicious - we love hummus of many kinds!
    A little garlic breath can keep vampires away :)
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chandra,
      We don't mind having a little bit of garlic breath either :)

      Delete
  2. what a gorgeous colour - you must be a pro at harvesting and chopping up the nettles - I did it once for soup and was worried I would be stung.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna. I am getting used to it, but sometimes the nettle gets me. I've made nettle soup and it is most delicious.

      Delete
  3. A lovely idea and a great colour. The Viking is crazy for using nettles too so I may not show him this just in case he goes humus crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Such a great way to use up those garden nettles - I love it! Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth - hope your well. I picked up the DVD set series 'Shetland' and enjoyed it.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You