Sunday, 3 May 2015

Mango, Pineapple and Coconut Irish Soda Bread

What is it with the British weather?!  I had plans for finishing weeding and digging up the garden, so that I could get started with some planting and growing, but the weather which has turned from being dry to drizzle in the last two days. So everything is on hold again.  

I am still recovering from being a bit unwell, so do not wish to venture very far especially in the rain, though we did drive into Abergavenny yesterday and spend a few hours there in the town centre. On the way back home, we stopped at The Secret Garden, a family run garden centre.  We did come home with some flowers, tomato plants and a bird feeder holder.  
Last week, my mother bestowed upon me some fresh mangoes from Sri Lanka, but while I was nestling them in my hands thinking of what to do with them, I was reminded of some dried mango and dried pineapple that I had in my cupboard.  So instead of using the fresh mango, I used the dried fruit for my Irish Soda Bread.  This was perhaps one of my favourite Soda Breads, even D enjoyed what he had.  He regretted not eating much of it as he was still recovering from being unwell.

So what became of the mangoes, they were enjoyed au naturale - all it sweet juices sucked straight from the mango, and squished to softness with my fingers to push out all its succulent golden fruit.  I am sharing this with Utterly Scrummy Food For Families who is hosting Bready Steady Go.  the theme is with bits in, next month the host will be Jen's Food. 

Mango,  Pineapple and Coconut Irish Soda Bread
400g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon bicarbonate powder
160g dried mango and pineapple pieces, chopped
2 tablespoons coconut flakes
2 tablespoons caster sugar
250g buttermilk
Optional: Extra milk - may not be necessary
Preheat oven to gas mark 180oc.
In a large bowl, stir in the flour, the salt, bicarb and sugar. Then stir in the coconut and dried fruit until well combined.  
Then stir in the buttermilk slowly as you stir to make a soft dough, but it must not be too dry or too wet.  If it is too dry, add the optional milk.
Knead lightly to form a round ball, 
Transfer to a non stick baking tray that has been sprinkled with a little flour
Using a knife, score a cross with a knife
Bake for 30 - 40 minutes or when it sounds hollow when tapped underneath.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool down for 30 minutes before serving.


  1. That is great fusion food - but sounds far nicer than many of the soda bread recipes with sultanas.

    1. Thank you Johanna. Yes, proper fusion food and it was really lovely.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You