Sunday, 17 May 2015

Hot and Spicy Cauliflower Florets

The weekend is coming to an end, but we have made the most of the dry spell, spending most of the daytime hours in the garden catching up with weeding, replacing the shattered greenhouse glass with plastic sheets and fixing the fencing that separates our garden and the neighbours garden further. Its been a really busy day.

So what do sun-shining days in the garden normally bring?!  Outdoor BBQ food and if your a veggie, it is often veggie sausages and veggie burgers.  This year I am ringing the changes with these Buffalo Cauliflower Wings aka Hot and Spicy Cauliflower Florets.  I've been wanting to make these for a long long while.  These Buffalo Cauliflower Wings did not disappoint, they were awesome.  Really finger licking, that is if your happy to eat these with your fingers as I am.
You can use a ready made BBQ sauce or a bottled hot sauce.  I've actually used Sriracha sauce here.  Some of you will know that I love the Sriracha sauce and I mean love the stuff I even douse it on my oven baked chips!  It was introduced to me by a Malay student when I was at Glasgow University all those years ago.  These cauliflower florets are proper hot, not for chilli wimps.  

D loved them also and said it reminded him of his time in the United States of America with friends eating Chicken Wings with Blue Cheese Dip.  He complimented that these were a fantastic substitute for those who are vegan.  I will so be making these again, I think this is the recipe that has made me really really appreciate Cauliflower. 
These red hot spicy Cauliflower florets are perhaps my favourite grub at the moment and I am hoping to pick up more cauliflower tomorrow, so that I can make them again. I am sharing this recipe with Choclette who now blogs at Tin and Thyme.  She is hosting The Cool Cauliflower Collection with Karen of Lavender and Lovage.  



Spicy Hot Cauliflower Wings 
Ingredients
1 x medium cauliflower, broken or chopped into bite size florets, rinsed 
1/2 pint milk or vegan soy alternative
140g plain flour
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
Salt to taste

180ml hot sauce (I used Sriracha sauce) or BBQ sauce of your choice
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180oc 
In a bowl, pour the milk and then add the flour, garlic and onion powder and salt to taste and whisk until well combined.  Set aside for 30 minutes.
Then stir in the cauliflower and coat well.
Transfer to a lined baking dish and bake for 20 - 25minutes.
While the cauliflower is roasting in the oven.
In another large bowl, combine the hot sauce and oil.  
Remove the cauliflower from the oven and add it to the hot sauce. Stir and coat well.
Then Transfer back to the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
Serve immediately. with blue cream cheese sauce and/or soured cream or vegan alternative.

12 comments:

  1. I really want to try this recipe, even though I am chilli wimp, maybe I would have to tone them down a bit, but I love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always use BBQ sauce. It is delicious. I am going to make it again come this weekend.

      Delete
  2. Those look yummy!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love cauliflower and all things spicy!
    Not to mention a sucker for bbq sauce.<3 These will be perfect for a summer Sunday.

    Vegetarian Courtesy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make it for a Summery Sunday Adi, you will like.

      Delete
  4. What a timely recipe! I just planted 3 cauliflower starts in the garden this weekend. I am really looking to expand my small cauliflower recipe collection and this is just the ticket. Thanks so much for sharing and enjoy your lovely weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lexa Lexa Lexa - always fab to hear from you. Do hope your well. I have never been good at growing cauliflower, so rely on the Cornish ones that appear in South Wales supermarkets or those at farmers markets, do hope your turn out good so you can try this recipe - it is awesome.

      Delete
  5. Hi Shaheen,
    A fried version of this delicious cauliflower snack is sold at many Indian restaurants as Gobi Manchurian, if I am not mistaken. I like your recipe better - healthier. I might try making this for my wife, who loves the Gobi Manchurian and see if she likes it.
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds lovely. You should share a recipe on your blog, i'd love to try it. If you do make this, i do hope your wife enjoys it. I am planing to make it again this weekend.

      Delete
  6. These look incredible! Am bookmarking to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I made it again over the weekend, my hubby loves it now and I have to say - its the dish that has made me appreciate cauliflower a lot more. I hope you try it, if Sriracha is too hot for you, try it with a BBQ sauce.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You