Sunday, 24 May 2015

Fried Halloumi, Rocket and Chutney Ciabatta

I had a lovely day yesterday.  We went to Bristol for Bristol Veg Fest.  The weather was extremely kind.  The VegFest as expected was extremely busy.  I've got photographs to share, but will do so in the next few days.  

Today was a day for deep-cleaning and gardening, and thankfully the weather was much cooler. 
As you may be able to appreciate, after hours of house-work and gardening, neither D or myself had much energy for cooking, so it had to be easy food.  So for a change I decided to make a warm scrummy sandwich. I sliced individual Ciabatta bread, spread on the base a generous layer of chutney ( choose either onion chutney or a tomato chilli).   Then scattered some peppery rocket over it.  Then I  fried some slices of halloumi (which had been lightly dusted with cayenne pepper or even smoked paprika, that is optional) until it was golden on both sides.
It made a nice change from a cheddar cheese and tomato sandwich. Even, D who hasn't had Halloumi for years didn't mind it, I loved it.  I am sharing this with Janie at The Hedgecombers who has challenged us to make sandwiches for the Tea Time Treats event which she runs with Karen of Lavender and Lovage.  


  1. This is again my kind of food! Similar to what I ate at the pub on Friday and quite often make at home too. :)

    1. You are quite lucky as none of the pubs where I am are that adventurous with vegetarian food, I've never seen halloumi in ciabatta bread on the menu anywhere here.

  2. This is a foodie's food. I am in love :)
    Now, I have to figure out where to buy the Halloumi.
    Nice one, Shaheen!
    Have a Beautiful Day!!
    Peace :)

  3. I hope you find some Chandra! It's really quite lovely.

  4. OK, tummy is officially grumbling now! I am so sad to admit this, but I have never tasted halloumi getting diagnosed with lactose intolerance before getting round to ever tasting it. I think one day I'll try it just like this and live with the consequences just so I know how good it tastes!
    Thanks so much for sharing with Tea Time Treats, see you next time!
    Janie x

    1. Thank you Jane. I am sorry that you have not been able to try halloumi. I have to say it is an acquired taste, when I first had it I was not that keen on it as its texture is almost squeaky rubber like, but then like green and black olives, I came to like it.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You