Monday, 11 May 2015

Small Bunch of Gorse Flowers and Wild Garlic

Yesterday we went for a walk in the woods not far from where we live.  Its times like this when I wish even more that I had a dog that I would take with me, ah I can wish - one day.
I came back with a small handful of edible flowers.  First gorse flowers.  Ever since I learned they were edible, I wanted to forage for some, but I only ever saw  them on the polluted motorway.  So you can imagine, I was quite pleased to find them in a relatively clean environment. I've got quite a few recipes bookmarked to make: gorse flower syrup, gorse flower ice-cream, gorse flower cordial, gorse flower wine and much more, but this time it will be something relatively simple, as I did only pick a small posy. 
Then later that same afternoon, we went for a drive to a place where I know where wild garlic grows.  I picked only a little, its a little late now really - but I did bring back a small bagful to make something simple.  
My blog has loads of wild garlic inspiration, but I would like to share a handful such as 
Wild Garlic Pesto Pasta
Scottish Wild Garlic Oatcakes
Wild Weed Tortilla

This time round though, I will be making something quite simple - Wild Garlic Hummus.  
I am sharing this small harvest albeit one foraged and not from my garden with Daphne's Dandelions who hosts Harvest Mondays.  

12 comments:

  1. I'm also curious of trying gorse flowers and even more excited to see your gorse recipes here soon! I would be able to get quite clean specimen in the close by New Forest. This year I've unfortunately been too busy for lovely forest walks, need to do that soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VegHog my gorse recipes will be simple this time round as i only harvested a little, as there are not that many berries about this time of year, i don't want to be greedy and must be mindful of the creatures around us. I hope you find some that are unpolluted soon.

      Delete
  2. Your wild garlic looks like what we call ramp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think it is. When I posted about wild garlic years ago, many bloggers from overseas described it as so.

      Delete
  3. what lovely foraging - can you put gorse flowers into a simple salad - I love salads with pretty flowers on them - well I love how they look but haven't had many opportunities to taste them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can put them in salads, but I haven't got round to trying them yet as they are still happy in the vase

      Delete
  4. The wild garlic flowers look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree, like natural firework sparkles.

      Delete
  5. Very interesting foraged veg. I see several bloggers foraging for wild alliums of different kinds, but have never seen any around here - too bad as I love alliums. Your longing for a dog sounds like my longing for a few chickens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have also come back with nettle, but I did not have gloves and did not wish to be stinging. , so maybe next time :) I'd like to have some chooks too, but the garden need proper organising, so who knows one day (and i have a feeling chooks will be in my home well before a doggie). Hope you get chickens in the not too distant future.

      Delete
  6. Hi Shaheen,
    The photo of the road with shade trees is very nice.
    We will try some of the recipes you have listed - even just the names sound delicious!
    I used to eat wild flowers as a child, but these days, I am cautious, given all the stuff that's floating around in the air.
    Have a Beautiful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Chandrasekhar. I do hope you enjoy some of the recipes.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You