Tuesday, 19 May 2015

Lapsang Scented Chestnut Mushroom Stroganoff

There are some recipes that I make often, like African Vegetable Curry, Thai Green Curry and Russian Mushroom Tofu Strogonoff, but sometimes I do like to try other variations.  So when I won Mildreds Cookbook a couple of weeks ago, I knew exactly what I wanted to make first - the Lapsang Scented Mushroom Stroganoff and it was bookmarked.  I must mention though that I do not like drinking Lapsang Souchang.  I find its smokiness overwhelming, but I was curious to try it in a vegetarian main meal as I could see how the smokiness could lend itself to a dish like Strogonoff.

I have never been to Mildred's Restaurant in Soho, London.  The plan is of course to dine there one-day, as I have both heard and read some positive reviews.  However, I don't venture out of South Wales that often, the furthest we travel at weekends is just over the border - sometimes into Bristol and sometimes Bath.  So I am pleased to now have the opportunity to have a little Mildred's inspiration in my home through the cookbook.
Well yesterday when I got home from work, glad to be indoors as the weather had suddenly turned to streaky chilly rain and this gave me the perfect excuse to make a deep warming dish.

The original recipe for Lapsang Mushroom Stroganoff  is for 8 people, but I halved the quantity.  The paprika stained Lapsang Souchong creamy sauce was thickened with cornflour and lusciously rich.  Although I only used chestnut mushrooms, roasting them in the oven for 15 minutes or so, did somewhat make them seem more 'meatier'.  I will so, so be making this again and it made a welcome change from my usual Mushroom Tofu Strogonoff.   
If the authors of Mildred The Cookbook grant me permission to publish the recipe here on my blog, then I will up-date this post, otherwise you will have to get your mitts on the cookbook. Here is a link to a review of Mildreds The Cookbook.  I am sharing this with for Bookmarked Recipes hosted by Tinned Tomatoes.

6 comments:

  1. I've been withering whether to buy this or not, I used to LOVE going to Mildreds hundreds of years ago when I lived in London... This recipe looks GREAT and is making me seriously think I must invest! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we lived near, we could have swapped your new vegetarian cookbook with mine and then the decision would be even more easier.

      Delete
  2. I've just received a copy to review and have cooked several recipes so far. You've got to try the peanut butter brownies...yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your so lucky getting to review vegetarian cookbooks. The peanut butter brownies are bookmarked to make at the weekend. I have a vegan colleague at work who is on holidays, I wanted to make them for her return and get her opinion, but i have no doubt they will be awesome.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy drinking Lapsang Souchong tea, so I'm familiar with its smoky flavour. I expect you used smoked paprika too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting you say that Mark, because I really do not like drinking Lapsang tea, but it worked wonderful in the stroganoff. And yes, there was also smoked paprika in the recipe.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You