Wednesday, 6 May 2015

Panko Crusted Beetroot Croquettes

I don't know why I don't make potato croquettes more often.  Not only do they harp back to my teenage days; as a couple we seem to devour them in no time at all.  

I do however like to enhance them further though with the addition of different herbs and/or vegetables. Sometimes with cauliflower, sometimes broccoli, other times carrots or shredded kale, but this time round it was with beetroot.
I actually made these Panko crusted Beetroot Croquettes last month.  The recipe is based on my Beetroot Croquettes.  I like to mix the vegetables with my bare hands so it is proper combined, no white potato bits, but if the beetroot dying your hands bothers you, then please do use a wooden spoon. These croquettes can easily be reheated in the oven or microwave (though the crisp crumbed exterior will soften), and take away some of the pleasure of eating. 
Serve hot or warm, when the coating is still crispy and crunchy, and the beetroot filling warm.  

Panko Crusted Beetroot Croquettes
Makes 12 - 14
500g mashed potatoes
300g beetroot, peeled and grated
2 teaspoons Suma garam masala
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Small handful of fresh coriander, minced
Salt an pepper to taste

1 free range egg, whisked OR vegan alternative: 1/4 pint soy milk whisked with 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
Suma Panko crumbs for coating
Sunflower oil for deep frying
In a large bowl, add the mashed potatoes, beetroot, spices, coriander and seasoning and combine well, preferable with your hands or a wooden spoon.  Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Then take a small scoop in the palm of you hand , roll into a ball and then mould into even sized cylinders, about 4 inch long and 2inch wide.  
Place on a tray and transfer to fridge to firm up for at 30 minutes.
When ready to deep fry, heat the sunflower oil.
Whisk the egg in a bowl.
Pour the panko crumbs into a wide plate.
First dip the Beetroot croquettes into  the egg; or soy-vinegar mixture, then into the panko crumbs ensuring it is well coated.  Continue doing this until are done (You can also do this in advance).
Then deep fry until golden all over.
Serve immediately with a light green salad.

As a member of the Suma Bloggers Network, I will receive a selection of complimentary products every two months, to use in recipe development and will blog original recipes for the Network. 


  1. I wish I was better at making croquettes but I can easily tell you why I don't do them more - deep frying is not my sort of thing and my oven doesn't cope well with baking them to crispy. I even wish I had been served them more as a child but I guess I got the box from the freezer occasionally but not brilliantly coloured croquettes likes this (love the pic of your hands)

    1. You know what Johanna, I think that is the reason I don't make them often - deep frying. I do not have a deep fryer and have to fill a pan etc. Its hassle for just the two of us, but sometimes I do get the cravings for deep fried food and give it a go, but not often.

  2. oooh these look and sound yummy - pinning the recipe - thanks for sharing :)

    1. Thank you Lorna. Do hope you enjoy making them,

  3. Adding beetroot to your potato croquettes is very clever idea, bet it has a beautiful color when cut.

    1. Thank you, I guess you can add any other veg - but beetroot certainly does impart that spectacular colour.

  4. These look really fun to make. Always good to find another way to eat beetroot :)

    1. Thank you so much Amy. These were rather yummy and crisp!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You