Saturday, 7 March 2015

Vegan Pretty in Pink Raspberry Rose Mousse

A week or so back, I went to check out the contents of the freezer.  You know, how some food tubs and packets of frozen peas and puff pastry can fall right to the bottom of the freezer and get forgotten about, well a tub of homegrown raspberries from the garden was one of those things.  

Well I decided to make use of them now.  I've enjoyed them in Smoothies,  in muffins and a vegan tofu dessert - a Raspberry and Rose Mousse to be more specific.  I've made a raspberry mousse before for my Raw Coconut and Date Tartlets, but  as I had some tofu to hand, an old fashioned tofu mousse it was to be.  Its been yonkies since I have had a mousse made with tofu.  
It is not particularly airy or whipped light, but it's not heavy either.  It is just right, super smooth.  It was rather nice, especially after a heavy meal.  You could taste the real pippy raspberry flavour, but also a little rose - not overpowering at all.  I am not, and never have been a girly girl that goes gaga over the colour pink, but here in this dessert it was quite pretty. 


Now onto the recipe which is real simple and requires no cooking at all.  Let me tell you and I am not exaggerating when I say there are loads of recipes for Raspberry Mousse on blogsophere.  I honestly cannot remember where I got the recipe for this one.  It was scribbled in one of my scrap cook note books from years back when I got into cooking seriously, probably a cookbook loaned from a library when I lived in Glasgow as a student, but in absence of knowing what cookbook that was, I will credit this one of the earliest blog recipes that I could find - Baking Bites 2006, but the rose syrup is my own addition replacing the vanilla. 
Vegan Raspberry Rose Tofu Mousse
Makes 4 decent portions
Ingredients
200g frozen raspberries, thawed (keep a few back for the optional topping)
349g tofu or thereabouts (I used Yukataka brand)
80g icing sugar
1- 2 teaspoon rose syrup or 1 teaspoon rosewater essence
Optional dried rose petals
Method
In food processor ( (I used my Optimum 9400 Froothie),  blitz all the ingredients until smooth.  then carefully pour or scrape into dishes.  
Top with the raspberries kept back and dried rose petals.
Refrigerate and chill for a couple of hours before serving.  
Best serve chilled.  
Eat  within 2 - 3 days.
Please note this post contains affiliated links. 

11 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever made any kind of mousse with tofu, Shaheen. I must try it one day.

    I have a terrible habit of finding long lost things in the freezer but, when I do, I consider it a bonus! You made a gorgeous and flavorful dessert with your "bonus." Thanks for sharing, Shaheen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful colour! It looks so smooth and delicious too....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy. And pretty, too! Gosh, someday I hope our raspberry canes produce enough that I have a tub that's sunk to the bottom of the freezer. A find like that would make my day! But, our canes are only a few years old and all the fruit gets eaten before even making it into the house. Someday...Do you make your own rose water then? That is something I've thought about, but haven't given a go yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you lived near, I would be more than happy to dig some from our garden and share. We have way too many, that I will be digging some out if I can, but they are pretty well established, so may be hard. I don't make my own rosewater, buy it.

      Delete
    2. I can believe that. In just the few years since we planted our first canes they've spread pretty far already! Even if we eat them all right off the bush and they never make it into the house it is still quite a special treat! Oh, fresh, fresh berries. They are something else.

      Delete
  4. Hi Shaheen, this looks so tasty! Not too much of a pink fan myself but that color just means spring and garden fruits to me, haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily. I am not a girl for pink either, but here it delights more than anything else.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You