Wednesday, 25 March 2015

Old Fashion Lemon Tofu Cheesecake

The vegan cheesecake recipes that are appearing all over blogophere are made with soaked cashew nuts or vegan cream cheese, but I have been making this old fashion vegan cheesecake with tofu for a while.  And what's more, it is no cook too.  

When you tuck into this Lemon Tofu cheesecake, please don't go trying to compare it to the dense, rich dairy version.  This one is very different, yet it delivers on flavour and textures. 
I've made this No Cook Cheesecake in the past with a vegan strawberry jelly topping in the shape of hearts, this time though I decided to stud it simply with some glace cherries.  
My husband wasn't too sure as to why I made this vegan cheesecake, especially as we have a couple of tubs of dairy cream cheese in the fridge, but the truth is I was prompted to make this recipe for one of the cutest girls I have ever met in my life.  She has the most infectious giggle that sets you off to a good day.  She goes by the pseudonym Twitter name Tequila Mockingbird.  I hope she approves of this old fashion Lemon Tofu Cheesecake.  


I am sharing this recipe with No Waste Food Challenge hosted by Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary. The digestive biscuits were in the biscuit tin for a while, the glace cherries reaching the best before date.
No Cook Lemon Cheesecake (Vegan)
Serves 12 makes 1 x 20cm/8 inch non-stick round cake tin with removable base
Ingredients
250g digestive biscuits
3 tablespoons ground nuts
4 tablespoon vegan margarine
350g silken tofu
Juice and zest from 1 lemon
100g caster sugar
10 glace cherries, sliced in half
Method
In a food processor, blitz the biscuits to crumbs, transfer to a bowl.  
Melt the margarine, then pour into the biscuit crumbs, stirring well.  Then tip this into the baking tin, pressing the mixture down to create the base.  Refrigerate for an hour to firm up.
In a clean food processor, blend the tofu with the lemon juice and sugar until smooth.
Spread evenly over the biscuit base, smooth over with a spatula.
Randomly press the sliced cherries into the creamy tofu topping, then garnish with the lemon zest.
Refrigerate over night.  Best served the following day.
Adapted from Another Dinner is Possible by Mike and Isy  

17 comments:

  1. My goodness, this makes me want a slice or two so badly right now!
    And I'll definitely check out her YouTube channel. :)

    Vegetarian Courtesy


    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very interesting (though I don't know how anything with tofu could be old fashioned). I'm trying to figure out how to make a US version. Are digestive biscuits like plain sugar cookies? And is caster sugar a superfine, but otherwise regular, sugar? Do you think coconut sugar would work? (It is very course) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. I think digestive biscuits are known as Graham crackers in the US. And caster sugar is superfine. i haven't baked with coconut sugar yet, so cannot advise - sorry.

      Delete
  3. You know, I'm a fan of the classic tofu version too; I have posted 2 or 3 on the blog over the years. yours looks delectable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big smile, Me too.
      The version that Tequila Mockingbird requested is different, I have just found the recipe and hope to make that too.

      Delete
  4. Not being vegan myself, Shaheen I would probably stick to the dairy variety, but it is so good to have another non-dairy recipe out there for the many people who simply CANNOT have dairy, let alone those who choose not to. BTW, just mentioned you on my blog, I put a link I hope it worked, and photos of the lovely lava bread you sent me. I DO wish you would let me have your address!! Lxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne. I understand. My husband ate it, but he prefers the dairy laden version too, of course I understand why. Its real rich.
      I came by and had a nosy of your blog post, thank you so much for your warm words. I am pleased you liked the laverbread. I apologise for the delay in getting it to you. Please do not feel obliged at all to send me anything in return, hence the reason that I will not give you my address, as I expect nothing in return. Please. It was only a small thing and I am glad you got to try it. If you ever wish for some more, do let me know.x

      Delete
  5. Whoever the lucky person getting this cake is, they sure are very lucky!
    Have a Beautiful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chandra, It was shared with family and friends, sadly Tequila Mockingbird was nowhere near.

      Delete
  6. looks lovely - I haven't made this sort of cheesecake but I have made a chocolate tofu tart quite similar to this and loved it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate tofu tart, I have made a chocolate chilli cheesecake in the past, so can imagine that it may be somewhat similar.

      Delete
  7. Oh this looks so delicious! I'm bookmarking this to try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate. Its real easy to make.

      Delete
  8. I made your delicious tofu cake & loved every bite, so did my husband!
    It was superb really! So tasty! 😉

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm sounds lovely! Thank you for sharing with the no waste food challenge :)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You