Monday, 16 March 2015

Shamrock Pistachio Date Spirulina Bites

I have had a large packet of Spirulina Powder in my kitchen cupboard.  It was bestowed  upon me by Laura who blogs over at Natural Vegan Eco Mom early last year when I participated in a Vegan Food Swap.  I had completely forgot about it until the weekend when the colour green came calling in the guise of St Patricks Day.

I've been making bliss balls also known as protein balls for light nibbles at work, to stave of boredom snacking, and moreso since becoming an ambassador for Froothie, as the Optimum 9400 Blender makes light work of blasting whole nuts to dust in moments.  So I made some more yesterday this time with the addition of pistachio nuts.  I also decided to use my shamrock cookie cutter to shape some of the bliss balls. 

I have to say to those of you who may not have had spirulina powder, it is an acquired taste and a little, I mean a little goes a long way.  So please don't be heavy handed they way I have been here with it, in fact I had to shake off the excess.  It is one of the reasons, that I have kept some of the Pistachio Date Balls au naturale
I have a number of recipes bookmarked to make with spirulina, but if you have any suggestions or recommendations to use up my spirulina powder, do let me know.  I am sharing these Spirulina Pistachio Date Bites with Vegetarian Mama for Gluten Free Fridays - Party #134.  

Pistachio Date Spirulina Bites
Makes about 16
140g dried dates
60 pistachio nuts, whole or ground
Optional:1 teaspoon cold water
1 teaspoon spirulina powder for coating
Add all the ingredients except for the water and spirulina powder in a food processor  (I used my Optimum 9400 Froothie) and blitz for a minute or so or until the mixture is sticky.  If the mixture is not sticky, then pour in the optional water and blitz again.  
Then using a  teaspoon, scoop enough of the fruit mixture then roll into a ball.  
Roll in the spriulina powder and leave in fridge to firm up.  
Good for 2 weeks if kept refrigerated. 
Please note this post contains affiliated links. 


  1. I've never made anything with spirulina but I have a faourite green smoothie that I buy with it in it - I love how you add pistachios too - they always delight me with their green hues

    1. It was new to me too Johanna, I have eaten it as a supplement in the past, but not used it in this way - a little does go a long way and it is an acquired taste. I have under 180g to use up now

  2. LOVE these festive healthy bites Shaheen!Thanks for sharing...I'll be pinning:)

    1. Thank you so much Louise., I would have been more than happy to share.

  3. These look great! I have some bliss balls in the planning, where I would use my sea buckthorn and cranberry powders. Your post has now encouraged me more to make them, so thank you! :)

    1. Thank you VegHog. I'd love to get my mitts on some sea buckthorn, I have seen fresh ones in the past but not in the past year, oh I fib - I did see some when we were travelling to Belgium. I look forward to seeing your variations, I will be showcasing some more in the future too.

  4. I like the idea of these little date bites very much. I hadn't heard of Spirulina until I saw it here on your blog and then the very next day a friend spoke to me about it as she has it in her nutribullet drinks. Weird how the world works!

    1. Thank you so much Kath, Genuinely lovely to hear from you, Its been a while. Do hope all is well in your world and with your new venture x I made a Irish Soda bread a week back with matcha, was thinking about having a go with the spirulina, but it is an acquired and strong taste. Yes, I have seen it mostly used in green drinks, may be the way for me to use it up too.

  5. I made these tasty treats & loved them so much! They were excellent! x


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You