Thursday, 5 March 2015

Chilli Chocolate Pancakes

I made these Chilli Chocolate Pancakes at the weekend.
I saw them only last month on Johanna's blog Green Gourmet Giraffe and immediately bookmarked them.  Funnily enough, Johanna left a comment on my Savoury Kale Fritters saying that 'for Shrove Tuesday that she really wanted savoury pancakes' , and funnily enough I wanted  sweet ones - Yes, we could have swapped if we lived near by, but she lives in Australia and I live in the U.K, but what we can do thanks to social media is exchange recipes.  

So here they are, a whole pile of them, with a good pinch of chilli flakes thrown in. 
Johanna served hers with chocolate sauce, but we both rather wanted vanilla ice-cream to off set the chocolate sweetness, but it ended up being maple syrup as we had neither vanilla ice-cream in the freezer or cream in the fridge to whip up.
I am sharing this with March edition of Bookmarked Recipes hosted by Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes

Chilli Chocolate Pancakes
Inspired and prompted by a variation by Green Gourmet Giraffe adapted from Cooking Classy
Makes around 24
150g golden caster sugar
60g cocoa powder
200g plain flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon dried red chilli flakes
1/2 pint milk
2 eggs

4 tablespoons vegetable oil for frying
In a large bowl, stir in the dry ingredients including salt and chilli flakes
In another bowl, measure out the milk then whisk in the eggs and pour this into the dry ingredients, whisking carefully until all combined.
Heat a tablespoon oil in  large non stick frying pan.  Using a tablespoon, drop in 1 -  2 tablespoons onto hot pan, cook for a couple of minutes before flipping over and cooking on the other side.  
The time to flip over is when little bubbles begin to  appear on top.
Best served warm.


  1. Chili Chocolate Pancakes sound oh so yummy Shaheen! I'd take them any ol' day including Shrove Tuesday!

    I adore Johanna's blog. I can see you "guys" swapping recipes. Her blog is not only delicious but also filled with such energy.

    I think these pancakes are most definitely worthy of some vanilla ice cream:) Thank you so much for sharing, Shaheen...

    1. Thank you Louise. Yes vanilla ice-cream would have brought the pancakes to a whole new level. I haven't forgotten the book challenge, just not organised enough, sorry.But promise to play along soon.

  2. they were rather rich but so good - I think we might still have the last couple in the freezer - I should check! so pleased to be able to swap recipes - seems I should be making the kale fritters - they are on my to do list! Sorry you didn't have ice cream for it - I made a lovely pancake sauce out of old strawberries and plums a few weeks ago and it was so good - imagine it would work well with these (or even stewed apples and walnuts with some maple syrup)

    1. Yes rather rich, so agree.
      Pls don't feel obliged to make the kale fritters, you have made my recipes in the past, its what I love about blogging is being inspired, and its always nice when its acknowledged.

  3. These are what I call Drop Scones. Can't beat the chilli + chocolate combination though!

    1. Thanks Mark, yes - I had thought about calling them drop scones too, but as they were bookmarked I called them by the name they were given.

  4. Haha, I fancied both sweet and savoury pancakes on Shrove Tuesday, so I had both ;-) Chilli and chocolate is a brilliant match and I very much approve of these.

  5. Sadly this year's pancake day went by without a pancake because I was working. Making up for it this weekend though, and this popped up on my feed. Flavours look stunning :) x

    1. Work is keeping me busy too, so cooking tends to be on a w/e.
      Hope your well and its always lovely to hear from you. By the way I am on twitter now.

  6. Pancakes mmmmmmm! The Bookmarked Recipes roundup is live, Thanks for joining in.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You