Wednesday, 11 March 2015

Broccoli Cheese Soup

March is a month that I usually look forward to for lots of different reasons, but mostly because its the time when vegetable growers get going in the garden with seeds and digging, but this year I cannot wait for it to be over.

I have so much on in relation to work, not that i wish to grumble as it will all be beneficial in the long term but its been taking over my evenings and some weekends too. I don't seem to have very much time for myself at the moment and the things I love to do.  So without meaning to wish time away, I am looking forward to April and a proper holiday.  Its also quite dark by the time that I get home, so photographs of food that I am making from scratch are not getting pictured and therefore not shared through blogging, so my heart sinks a little when it comes to blogging.

I do however have a Broccoli Cheese Soup to share.  This was made over the weekend.  
I've mentioned many times that I am not overly keen on the bushy broccoli heads (preferring the stalks), but when cooked down and pureed.  I enjoy it.  D also enjoyed this soup, especially the addition of grated cheese on top. 


I am sharing this recipe with No Croutons Required co- hosted by Lisa's Kitchen and Tinned Tomatoes;  Soup, Salad and Sammies Sundays hosted by Kahakai Kitchen; and finally Souper Soup hosted by Jo's Kitchen. 
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Serves 4 
Ingredients
25g butter
1 tablespoon butter
1 onion, sliced
450g broccoli, roughly chopped
1 pint vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
300ml milk (full fat or semi-skimmed - you decide)
80g Cheddar cheese, grated
Method
Ina wide pan, melt the butter with the oil then stir in the onion until soft.  Then stir in the broccoli ad cook for a few minutes, before pouring in the stock and seasoning.  Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the broccoli is tender.  
Turn of the heat and transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and blitz to a puree. Return to the pan and reheat with the milk.  
Serve immediately topped with the grated cheese. 


19 comments:

  1. Haha, I also posted a soup today, a roasted cauliflower and carrot soup. I'm glad that you're also still making nice soups, the season isn't over yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did notice. Still rather nippy here, chances are I may still make another one :)

      Delete
  2. you can't go wrong with broccoli soup in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gill. This one is quite nice.

      Delete
  3. If only I'd looked at your blog yesterday, I had a broccoli to use up but instead it ended up in a creamy brocolli and cauliflower soup but it didn't taste of much so stilton was added last minute. Hey I know what you mean about wishing time away so hope you get your life back a bit in April as work is sounding hectic for you. Take care and thanks for popping by my blog :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stilton is nice in soup, adds so much flavour.
      Thanks for the warm wishes, I do have a lot of work related stuff to catch up on.

      Delete
  4. I always forget how much I like broccoli in soup, so thanks for reminding me! Looks lovely...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks , so lovely to hear from you.

      Delete
  5. Wow I like the idea of adding cheese in broccoli soup, I will try next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheese does enhance the flavour of soups, i hope you like

      Delete
  6. It looks delish Shaheen. I love soup and haven't made one for a little while. When my PSB finally starts cropping maybe I can try this.
    I know what you mean about the light at this time of year, it's hard to get a good photo except for during the day.
    I'm looking forward to the long Easter weekend to catch up on jobs as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou. I have PSB in the garden, need to harvest if really. Hopefully I will do so tomorrow and be able to share on Monday, just too many distractions this month - all work related. I am looking forward to the clocks changing too.

      Delete
  7. Broccoli and cheese is a classic soup for a reason! ;-) I like your soup mugs. Thanks for sharing with Souper Sundays this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting. I will be on over later. I have a few soup mugs, all in different colours,

      Delete
  8. Hi Shaheen,

    Thanks for the recipe! I had this a few weeks ago in a little country pub and seeing the recipe here makes me really crave it! Will definitely give it a go.

    Besma (Curiously Conscious)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often make this with stilton cheese too. Hope you enjoy.

      Delete
  9. That sounds delicious Shaheen. Thanks so much for sharing with NCR. Your continued support (and of course recipes) are much appreciated. I'm working on the roundup and it should be up in the next day or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your so welcome Lisa. Look forward to the round up. And hope to participate again next month.

      Delete
  10. Looks Yummy! Thank you for entering #SuperSoup!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You