Saturday, 14 March 2015

Matcha - Green Tea Irish Soda Bread

I am afraid the next few posts, like the previous one may be very green.

With St Patrick's Day a few days away, I am even more inspired. 
To be absolutely honest, I was prompted and inspired to make an Irish soda bread a few weeks back, when an Irish colleague at work started raving about Irish Soda Bread.  She spoke about it with so much passion that it reminded me of how much I actually liked Irish soda bread, but also how easy it was to make.  I have made many variations in the past, with dried fruit, fresh fruit like summer berries, with bananas, nuts and cheese. 
A month or so back, I found a tub of matcha  - green tea powder that I had picked up from a Oriental supermarket a year back and decided to include that in my Irish soda bread recipe.  Yes, I know I could have just used a bit of green food colouring, (rather than this expensive powder ) but I was curious to try it out in a sweet bread, as I've seen Matcha used in chocolate eclairs, cupcakes, cheesecakes and lattes (vegan and dairy versions).  

When the Matcha Sweet Soda Bread came out of the oven, it seemed to have lost its green colouring, but when we sliced into it, we could see a shade of green-ness.  Its not in your face kind of green, but a light gentle soothing green.  We spread a little butter on top and ate it warm, it was quite nice.  I am sharing a slice of this Soda Bread to Caroline Makes and  More Than Occasional Baker for Alphabakes.  The theme this month is the letter S (for Soda Bread).  I am also sharing it with Eat Your Veg and Bangers and Mash for March edition of Family Foodies event: the theme is Let's Go Baking.  



Matcha Green Tea Irish Soda Bread
Ingredients
200g strong wholemeal flour
200g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon bicarbonate powder
2 teaspoons Matcha Powder
2 tablespoons caster sugar
250g buttermilk
Optional: Extra milk - may not be necessary
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 180oc.
In a large bowl, stir in the flours, the salt, bicarb, matcha and sugar. Stir well to combine.  
Then stir in the buttermilk slowly as you stir to make a soft dough, but it must not be too dry or too wet.  If it is too dry, add the optional milk.
Knead lightly to form a round ball, 
Transfer to a non stick baking tray that has been sprinkled with a little flour
Using a knife, score a cross with a knife
Bake for 30 - 40 minutes or when it sounds hollow when tapped underneath.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool down for 30 minutes before serving.
For those of you interested,  I have also made a vegan Irish Soda Bread.  Here is the link to one that I have adapted in the past,  

15 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Irish soda bread before, but I love the name! And you can definitely see the green there. :)

    Vegetarian Courtesy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adi. You should have a go at making traditional soda bread, it really is easy.

      Delete
  2. Do you know of a gluten free alternative for the flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that there ia brand in the UK called Doves Organic and they do a gf flour, not sure if you can find it closer to where you are.

      Delete
  3. Love it! I am still so behind the times - I only tried matcha for the first time the other day in a milkshake. I need to get some of my own to experiment with some green treats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much littleveganbear. I still have matcha left, its very expensive for sure, but like to experiment.

      Delete
  4. brilliant idea - it is always nice to use natural colourings - I have found that matcha is never that bright green with me either but this is a good reminder I should use it more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna, but I do feel a tad guilty - for an economical family bread, I have poshed up with matcha. Still, i enjoyed it. And I am so glad you can vouch that matcha green is not bright.

      Delete
  5. I was also tempted to make a soda bread when I was researching for my Irish recipes. This is a very good one, love the colour of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you VegHog. I wanted to make something that was not potato based this time round for St Patricks Day, so the use of matcha powder made a pleasant change.

      Delete
  6. Interesting combo Shaheen! I find Matcha a little acerbic for my taste, but I'm curious how did it taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, but compared to Spirulina powder I think match is mellow. It was not overwhelming, but you can taste it a little, hard to describe now.

      Delete
  7. What an inspired bake. I can just imagine how tasty this is warm with butter. Yum! Thanks for entering AlphaBakes

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You