Monday, 23 March 2015

Southern Style Okra Gumbo

In an attempt to blog about food, I scanned through my food photograph on-line file and found this Southern Style Okra Gumbo that I had forgot to blog about.  I had made it some time last year when okra was in season.   
I could be really cheeky and call this a Welsh Gumbo just because it was made in Wales, but I won't take liberties, but it is vegan that much I must highlight. The recipe is adapted from the charming American Soul Food Chef Charita Jones, also known as Momma Cherri.  I have written about Momma Cherri before on my blog - see here when I made her awesome Sweet Potato Pies.

I have not always enjoyed eating okra also known as lady fingers due to its gelatinous and viscous texture, but over the years I have to enjoy it, especially when cooked right, especially when fried to crispness.    Well this is another okra recipe that got my firm approval.  



If you don't have any Cajun seasoning, you can make your own find the recipe here*.  
Vegan Southern Style Okra Gumbo
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, finely sliced
2 celery sticks, peeled and sliced
1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 green or yellow/orange peppers, diced
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning *
1-2 teaspoon  chilli flakes
About 700g fresh okra, end removed and sliced in half length ways
2 x 400g cans of tomatoes, chopped
4 tablespoons tomato puree
400ml vegetable stock
325g sweetcorn, fresh, frozen or from a can, drained and rinsed
Sal;t and pepper to taste
Method
Heat the oil in a wide pan, then stir in the onion and celery and cook until soft, stir in the garlic and pepper, Cajun seasoning and chilli flakes and fry for a few minutes until the spices have mingled with the onions.   
Then stir in the chopped tomatoes and  tomato puree and simmer over a low heat for around 30 until the tomatoes have broken down, then stir in the okra and stock and cook on low heat for a further 30 minutes or so, stirring from time to time.  
Then stir in the sweetcorn, salt and pepper to taste and cook for 10 minutes.  
Taste and tweak seasoning if necessary.  
Recipe adapted from Momma Cherri's Soul in a Bowl Cookbook. 

8 comments:

  1. YUM! I love okra!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shaheen,

    Your post grabbed my eye on bloglovin' today - I love okra so much! It's a food I've grown up eating as a special meal, which ressembles something like this, although I've used chickpeas instead of sweet corn and eaten it with brown rice. It's a really delicious meal - glad someone else knows what okra is as well!

    Besma (Curiously Conscious)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Besma.
      I have come to like it, never did so much when i was a child. Funny how your tastes change with time.

      Delete
  3. Sorry, but okra is one of my least favourite veggies. I find the gelatinous texture very off putting! I'm sure some people like it, but not me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never liked it when I was a child, have grown to not mind it as an adult. I think the secret is cooking it slowly and that gelatinous texture disappears, I cannot eat it myself if it is gelatinous, so it must be cooked well. You should try it crispy Mark.

      Delete
  4. Love a vegetarian dish with Okra in it, especially Gumbo!
    Have a Beautiful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You