Monday, 30 March 2015

Purple Sprouting Broccoli for Harvest Monday

Its been a while since I've shared a post with Daphne's Dandelions who hosts Harvest Mondays.  The reason is I've been both busy and lazy.  Busy at work and lazy when I get home, but then its dark.  

The garden has been much neglected, made worse by the weather a few months back and this weekend too.  The strong winds have knocked down the neighbours wooden fence, its fallen on our side.  Its been on its side since the start of the year.  The neighbours have still not fixed it, so it's down to us to prop it back up, but that will be mid- April as the next few weekends are booked with family commitments.  I am embarrassed to say that I haven't even started off any seeds either. In the past I have been so organised and started them off on my window sill and usually by this time of year the potatoes would have gone in the ground too.   Not this time....
But what I do have is some home-grown Purple Sprouting Broccoli harvested from the garden. Its the only brassica that survived the bugs and pests.  

It was truly truly delicious.  More to be harvested later this week.  

16 comments:

  1. Nice harvest, I'm sure they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It certainly was and I am glad there is more to come.

      Delete
  2. Mmm, looks good Shaheen, can't get fresher than that. You've got more flower heads than my PSB, which Is more leafy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lou. True, it is so fresh and tastes so good. I am pleased with this, also have some curly kale.

      Delete
  3. The PSB must have been even more delicious because it was the first harvest from your garden this year - I enjoy all the harvests, but those firsts are always so highly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was delicious Margaret, and I don't say that about broccoli, but this is PSB more special

      Delete
  4. don't think I have had purple broccoli before...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try and get some Gill, its so much nicer than the bushy broccoli which I prefer in soups.

      Delete
  5. Busy at work, then lazy ... sounds like me every day of winter! Nice looking broccoli. Here in Eastern Canada, the ground is still frozen; potatoes won't go in for another month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie :)
      The ground here is sodden than frozen, hope the ground warms up for you soon.

      Delete
  6. Lovely PSB. I'm really envious of all those that are harvesting it right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Daphne, you envy our PSB and we envy your harvest.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you got some broccoli. If I had to have just one vegetable, this would probably be it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I am pleased too, actually have some curly kale too. Will harvest that this weekend, the weather is atrocious, our pergola is knocked every direction by the battering wind, so bad it will be coming down soon.

      Delete
  8. Purple sprouting? Yum! You lucky thing!!!! I have only just popped some seeds in. Hopefully the greenhouse will give them a helpful boost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate. I do feel lucky with home grown PSB.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You