Wednesday, 1 April 2015

Vegetable Palette: Spring Vegetables Round up #9

Welcome to March's Round up of 'The Vegetable Palette: natures colours - natures goodness''. 
The theme for March was Simple Spring Vegetables!   (Scroll to the bottom of the page for the new theme).
The fist entry comes Johanna from Green Gourmet Giraffe with Pea, Quinoa and Feta Fritters.  Its not spring in Australia, but sweet peas, albeit frozen ones still sing of Springtime with their verdant green marble skin.  This is my kind of down to earth homely food and one that I have bookmarked to make in the near future as I often have the ingredients to hand. 

Kate from Gluten Free Alchemist shares with us Honey Glazed, Thyme roasted Spring Carrots and Parsnips.  I love the look of these caramelised spring root vegetables.  It transforms a sweet vegetable into something both sweet and savoury.  This would adorn any Sunday vegetarian plate into a thing of elegance.  By the way,some of these carrots are purple! 
Janet from the Taste Spaces brings to the tables Moosewood Summer Vegetable Curry. Janet was drawn to this recipe longing for Summery days.  The ingredients all do conjure up sunshine and warmth.  Sweetcorn, tomatoes, zucchini aka courgettes and plenty of other colourful vegetables.  Like Janet, I now am longing for Spring and Summer days as the rain fall and blustery weather does not seem to be ceasing here in wet Wales.  This recipe could easily appear in one of my lunch boxes in the near future.  

Next we have Linsy from Home Cook Food with Vegetables in Pumpkin Gravy.  I am intrigued at the sound of the Pumpkin Gravy, as most Indian style food is made with tomato gravy bases. Linsy created this dish for her husband who has recently been diagnosed with Ulcer Colitis.  I think she is some kind of super woman as she is now creating three different meals in her home, one for her husband, one for herself and the third for her children.  
The Veg Hog shares with us Cauliflower, Courgette and Tomato Bake.  I am a fan of oven baked or roasted cauliflower, so this recipe delights me.  The Veg Hog describes this oven bake as a light spring dish.  The colours are certainly cheery.  This vegetable bake is enhanced further with two different cheeses and fragrant basil. 
Jen from Chardonnay & Samphire.  Jen shared with us Roasted Cauliflower with Samphire and Dill.  Does this dish not wow you.  It got me excited.  Jen offering a punchy array of flavours. Golden roasted cauliflower florets, complimented by the saltiness from the samphire and sweetness from the orange juice.  I love oven bakes, they are a time saver for evening meals, so this one will be appearing on my table too, just as soon as I get my mitts on some local samphire. 
And lastly but not least is Sadhna from Herbs, Spices and Tradition shares a Kale and Tofu side dish.served with Indian flatbreads known as Rumali Roti  This green side dish sounds rather healthy enhanced with spices like cumin and coriander.

I would like to thank everyone for their contributions.  If you would like to participate in the Vegetable Palette, then please follow this link on how to participate.  The theme for March is White Vegetables.   Think Cauliflower, Garlic, Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes...


  1. These recipes are great, such a variety! Thank you for the lovely round up, Shaheen!

  2. Thanks Shaheen for the round-up and for accepting my recipe. I will see what can I do with white vegetable.

  3. Some fab recipes here! Love the look of the cauliflower, courgette & tomato bake.......


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You