Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Slice of Broccoli Cake

This is not a sweet Broccoli cake, though there are a few on blogosphere and most are heavily disguised with chocolate, no this is a savoury broccoli cake.  
Savoury cakes made with vegetables are not new to my kitchen.  I've been enjoying them over the years, the most recent being this Vegetarian Chorizo, Sun-dried Tomato and Pistachio Cake adapted from Clotilde Dusoulier. 

Anyway, this savoury broccoli cake was enjoyed with a light green salad, no imported tomatoes as they are often insipid and lacking in taste.  I can't wait for the appearances of local tomatoes, its also the one fruit that D really wants to grow.  
As it was quite substantial and way too much for D and myself to consume, I took some over to my mothers, where the nephews and nieces often hang out; and guess what I've had a request to make this again, so expect to see a variation of it next month, and perhaps with a seasonal vegetable or two.  



What is really good about this Broccoli Cake is that it is good equally warm or cold which makes it great for lunch boxes.

Savoury Broccoli Cake
Makes 1 x 8 inch round cake 
Serves a lot of people as a nibble
180g broccoli, chopped into bite size florets
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 medium eggs
120g plain flour
11/2 teaspoon baking powder
100g feta cheese, chopped into cubes
4 spring onions, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
Method
Steam the broccoli until just tender.  Drain and set aside.
Grease a 8 inch round cake tin with the oil.
In a bowl, whisk the eggs, then sift in the flour and baking powder, salt and pepper, then stir in the feta cheese, spring onions and the broccoli until well combined.
Scrape into the cake tin, then sprinkle over the sesame seeds.
Bake in the oven, as mark 6/200oc for 35 - 45 minutes, or until the cake is golden and firm to the touch.  Allow to cool for 30 minutes before removing from the tin and slicing.  
Adapted from this Vegetarian Savoury Cake, as well as this and this recipe.  

8 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! I need to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you VegHog, It will be appearing in my home again too,

      Delete
  2. We will have to try this one too!
    Sounds delicious...
    Have a Beautiful Day!!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks gorgeous and sounds lovely - I made a broccoli cake many years ago which wasn't quite right but I still love the idea and would love to make more. And that's fantastic that your family appreciated it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my family - mostly the nephews and nieces often like what I make, so I am always pleased. My two sister in laws are a bit more difficult and set in their ways, And my mother often critical, but if I win my nephews and nieces over it pleases me. Shame about your broccoli cake years ago, hopefully you will give it a go again

      Delete
  4. LOVE this, I will be trying it this weekend, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do hope you do and hope its a success for you as it was for me.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You