Friday, 10 April 2015

Gumbo Z'Herbes aka Green Gumbo

A week or so late, because this bowl of Green Gumbo would have been perfect to showcase during the Easter holidays. Green Gumbo is a Creole dish often made on Maundy Thursday or Good Friday.     
My reason for making it was very different though.  I have lots of greens in my overgrown garden: chard, curly kale and leafy purple sprouting broccoli, so these greens had to go into the pot along with spinach, celery, spring onions, green peppers and the most essential green vegetable: okra which came to me from my mothers (after her visit to the South Asian grocers).  Okra, a vegetable not to every ones taste and I have to admit I never liked it up until a few years ago, I guess with age your tastes change.     
I actually  have two vegan Green Gumbo recipes bookmarked to make, but I chose the one from Celia Brooks World Vegetarian Classics, simply because I have had the cookbook longest. Celia Brooks suggests serving it with some grated cheddar cheese, but we had it simply with some plain white rice.  The gumbo was interesting, it had thickened up by the okra, but it was not gloopy or stringy.  It was actually quite palatable, to enjoy it more though I did have to douse it heavily with hot sauce, but I am a sucker for hot sauce and spice.  

I am sharing this recipe with Bookmarked Recipes with Tinned Tomatoes
Vegan Welsh Green Gumbo
Serves 4 - 6
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons plain flour
1 large onion, finely minced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
4 spring onions, sliced
1 green pepper, chopped into cubes
1 large potato, peeled and chopped into bite size cubes
Around 400g greens like chard, spinach, broccoli leaves, curly kale
Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
2 pints of vegetable stock

1 tablespoon olive oil
100g okra, topped and tailed and sliced
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Hot sauce to serve (I used small producers Welsh Dragon Hot Sauce called 'Electric Mud' from Cardiff Farmers Market) like Tabasco
Heat a wide pan with the oil and the flour.  Cook, stirring constantly until the roux begins to turn golden, this will take about 10 minutes.  Add the onion, garlic, pepper and celery and cook until the vegetables begin to soften.  Then add the potatoes and the greens, and cook until the greens begin to wilt, then stir in the herbs and stock and bring to a boil.  Then turn the heat down and allow to simmer for 25 - 30 minutes until the potatoes begin to soften.

In another pan, heat the oil and add the okra.  Stir until golden and remove from the heat, then add the vinegar.  Stir well, before transferring it to the gumbo pan.  Season with salt and pepper to taste, and Hot Sauce to taste.  Serve in bowls, tweak seasoning and hot sauce to taste if necessary.  Very slightly adapted from the fantastic Celia Brooks World Vegetarian Classics


  1. I'm afraid I would definitely not like that! I am one of those Okra-haters you mention.

    1. Try this recipe for crispy okra Mark, its the one that got me slowly into appreciating it, its all in the way its cooked - but i understand your dislike, took me years to eat it and often its not slimy at all.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You