Wednesday, 8 April 2015

April Sunshine In My Kitchen

I picked up these gorgeous enamel vintage pots and pans recently from a charity shop for a super duper bargain price.  I love the golden roses embossed on the sides.  I don't know if I will ever use them, they will probably sit on the top of the kitchen cupboards as ornaments.  Who knows?!



I do make my own jerk paste from scratch, but  when I saw a jar of Jerk seasoning I wanted to give it a go, I was a little disappointed with it as it was ridiculously salty, too salty for my taste buds. Lesson learned, make your own. 
Next to the Jerk Seasoning is a jar of Ube: Sweet Purple Yam Spread.  I do have some ideas as to what to do with it, but any other suggestions, other than the obvious spreading it on toasted bread would be most appreciated.  I am hoping to bake with it in the next fortnight.  
I went into the big city a couple of weeks ago and was excited to find Ananda's Marshmallow Mix. I know you can buy marshmallows suitable for vegetarians and vegans now, but I am looking forward to having a go at making this at home.  I will share the final fluffy vegan pillow of delight in the very near future.  
I was also delighted to find Wheaty vegan slices of Chorizo.  I know I have an awesome vegan chorizo recipe to make my own, but its nice now and again to try different brands, especially one that fellow veggies have been raving about.  But something else got me even more excited, I was pleased to find Primal strips (a bit like meat jerky), but I have to say - I found them way too 'meaty' that I had to pass it over to D to finish off, he didn't mind it at all. 
As for the Wheatly chorizo slices, well they went down pretty well.  I have had a hankering for bagels recently, not homemade but they made a splendid vegan cream cheese chorizo bagel sandwich with cress.
From the garden, we have been enjoying freshly picked Purple Sprouting Broccoli.  I am sharing this post with Celia from Fig Jam and Lime Cordial who hosts In My Kitchen (IMK) series.

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Susie, I knew you would love them.

      Delete
  2. Purple sprouting Broccoli...am so envious. We're just growing snow here!!! Ah well, leeks have sprouted will say that, and early onions and some herbs but all inside. As for those pots, I wouldn't have been able to resist them either. What a find Shaheen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It so lovely to hear from you Brenda. Pls you make me blush, don't be envious. Its the only thing that I planted that has survived and done well. I haven't started any sowing yet and the garden needs to be dug over, oh did you read that my pergola has to come down too, as well as the fencing due to high winds. I am glad that you have some things sprouting and do hope the snow melts away.

      Delete
  3. Making marshmallows...that sounds fun--and sticky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes I am looking forward to it when the time comes.

      Delete
  4. See, now I want purple sprouting broccoli! I saw it in Kari's post this month as well, and now I'm craving it! What a shame the jerk seasoning was too salty - that's so often the way with jarred products, isn't it? And your old/new enamel pots bring back memories - I'm sure I had a set just like that in the 80s! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Celia.Yes it was a shame about the Jerk, but thank goodness I have a recipe to make my own too. so funny to learn that you had similar pots in the 80s so glad it brought back good memories for you.

      Delete
  5. Love your marshmallow mix and love to see vintage pots! Your post made me smile today!
    Thank you for this month's kitchen view too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joanne. Your comment is really appreciated.

      Delete
  6. you do have lots of interesting food in your kitchen - the chorizo slices and the ube and the cute packaging for the marshmallows. but most of all I am jealous of your gorgeous pots and that you have room in your kitchen for them - a fantastic find

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna. I am excited about the marshmallows and looking forward to trying them, I do have a lot of hot chocolate at home and it one of my evening treats now and again. The pots are fab, I don't know whether I will use them. I do hope to though.

      Delete
  7. Shaheen, you're a girl after my own heart with those charity shop enamel pans - they're gorgeous!
    Love your PSB - ours got eaten completely by slugs so none to harvest at all this year. Thank god for the supermarkets! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kavey, they really were for a super bargain price - you often see one for a fiver.

      PSB other than curly kale and some chard are the only green veg that survived the beasties in my garden, this year the netting will be used and slug pellets. Hope you do better next year with the PSB

      Delete
  8. I’m glad I’m not the only one Shaheen that occasionally buys products just to compare to the homemade product! I really love the photo of that broccoli against your jumper, it matches perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, its good to know that I am not alone in doing this.
      The PSB is still being enjoyed, the purple top = honestly was a bit of a coincidence, its my lounge around top, a bit baggy and very comfy.

      Delete
  9. I want the purple sprouting broccoli too. We just planted something similar as well as purple and orange cauliflower so hopefully it will come up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get some in your garden Grechen. I am quite Envious that your growing purple and orange cauliflowers too, hope they do well

      Delete
  10. oh yes i love enamel pans. they are so handy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Shaheen! Lovely sunshine pots. Thanks for the peek! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily, let's hope I use them or give them to who appreciates them more.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You