Sunday, 26 April 2015

Ruby Red Chard Mushroom Nut Wellington

My most favourite of favourites Nut Mushroom Wellington by far has to be from Nadine Abensur from her cookbook The Cranks Bible.  When I was a student I would often make it and slice it in individual pieces and freeze it, so when I had friends over or too tired to make something, I would go to the freezer and bake it in the oven served with steamed veg and gravy.  

It's been a few years now since I've made a nut roast, and I mean one covered in puff pastry aka a Mushroom Nut Wellington, so that had to be addressed.  And with the sun disappearing on us again and it all going nippy again, a vegan nut roast with all the trimming was to be on the menu.  
I was going to put a handful of shredded kale to the mushroom and nuts, but decided to throw in a handful of homegrown red chard, spotted amongst all the weeds in the garden.  
A couple of weeks back I made some progress weeding and digging the garden.  We were fortunate to have the nephews over bribed by the appeal of a home-made veggie burger with spicy wedges.  They helped their uncle dismantling the pergola and I did the digging, but the work in the garden came to a halt when both myself and D came down with some kind of bug.  Its not even halfway through the year and I have been poorly twice this year.  Feeling much better now, I am back in the kitchen and back to blogging. I am sharing the small harvest of red chard with Daphne's Dandelions who hosts Harvest Mondays.Simple and in Season: April hosted by Fuss Free Flavours and Ren Behan; and Tinned Tomatoes for Meat Free Mondays.  



Ruby Red Chard Mushroom Nut Wellington
Serves 6 - 8
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium red onions, finely sliced
3 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
100g ruby red chard including stalks or other green leafy veg, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce 
200g mixed nuts, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
375g read rolled puff pastry
Optional: a little (non-dairy) milk and sesame seeds for topping
Method
Heat the oil in a wide pan and and cook the red onion, garlic, bay leaf until the onion is tender.  Stir in the mushrooms, chard including stalks, along with thyme, paprika and sauce. 
Cook on medium heat until the vegetables have softened. turn off heat and allow to cool.
In a food processor, blitz the nuts, then top in the cooled mushroom-chard mixture and blitz again. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, give it a brief blitz.
Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
Roll the pastry out to 35 x 25cm and place onto the baking tray.
Spoon the mixture down the middle evenly.
Make a lattice with the puff pastry by cutting the pastry on both sides of the filling into 3cm strips, then fold over the top of the filling.
Optional: Brush with optional (non-dairy) milk and scatter over the sesame seeds
Bake in a  reheated oven, gas mark 4/180oc for 45 - 50 minutes or until golden. 

20 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you've been unwell, but glad you're feeling better :) the red chard is beautiful! I spotted some little self-sown rainbow chard seedlings on my plot today, some with red stems too so I hope they survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou. Much better now, but whatever it is is still in my system. I hope you self sown chard survives the nippy weather. I will be digging around the overwintered chard this weekend and making the most of it.

      Delete
  2. Nice post Shaheen.
    I posted a comment on your previous post around 10 days back, but I can not see it. who is hosting "My Legume love affair for April."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I've left a comment on your blog re MLLA.

      Delete
  3. This looks so good - I am still yet to make nut roast wellington and must do it - I think I have two sheets of puff pastry in the freezer and wonder if I could use these and have the join under the wellington - glad to hear you are feeling better - hope you will get some sunshine to boost your health now that it is spring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you can join two lots of puff pastry. The weather is quite changeable here, we had to scrape off ice off the car this morning, but by the afternoon it was warmish.

      Delete
  4. Yum! what brand of puff pastry do you buy? Do you know of any that uses an alternative to palm oil or butter? Glad you are feeling better, and let's hope we get some more sunshine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarojini. Its Justroll which I am told is vegan - not the all butter one. Top of my head, I don't know what others to recommend, sorry.

      Delete
  5. This looks delicious. Thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks beautiful and delicious, what a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle, it was a treat and hopefully more from the garden.

      Delete
  7. Very delicious recipe and great photos, Shaheen!
    We will attempt to make this dish.
    I like the way you have photographed the dish in a natural surrounding, outdoors! Well done!!
    Have a Beautiful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chandra. We often take the pics in the windowsill with natural light, but sometimes its in the garden, so I am pleased you like :)

      Delete
  8. Ooo that looks yummy! My chard has overwintered in some pots on my balcony, but it's not very big! I'll start again in my new garden I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will need to sow some more now that I have cleared and dug the garden over, hope you grow some too.

      Delete
  9. I adore chard! What a lovely recipe this is too. Thank you for linking up to Simple and in Season

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You