Wednesday, 15 April 2015

Asparagus and Black Garlic Pastry Loaf

I know all sliced up this vegetable loaf looks like its holding garden peas, but I assure you these green polka spots are sliced asparagus baked in a pastry loaf.  It is based on my Vegetable Pasta Loaf recipe.  I decided to replace the pasta this time with seasonal asparagus.  I also remembered having some black garlic showcased on my blog a couple of months back for Celia's In My Kitchen Series, so decided to include a few sweet, chewy balsamic flavoured black cloves too.  
It turned out pretty okay.  The asparagus still had some crunch, slight saltiness came from the feta cheese and the black garlic, surprised us with each bite.  D likes this kind of food and doesn't understand why I don't make it often, but then he loves the leggy asparagus.
A slice of this Asparagus and Black Garlic Loaf is perfect for today with the weather being quite Mediterranean 25 degrees Celsius in some parts of the U.K, The kind of weather when you would sit out in your garden and dine with some lovely light salads.  I actually do feel like doing that, except for the fact that I have a bunged up nose, I think I may nibble on some black garlic something about it just makes me feel better!   I am sharing this post with Simple and in Season: April hosted by Fuss Free Flavours and Ren Behan. 


Asparagus and Black Garlic Pastry Loaf
Serves 6 - 8 depending on size of slices
For the filling
2 bundles of asparagus, rough part of stalk snapped and then blanch for a few minutes.  
Remove from the heat and cool under cold water.  Set aside.

1 tablespoon cornflour, mixed to a paste with 2 tablespoons of cold water
250ml double cream
3 medium eggs, beaten
100g feta cheese, crumbled
Salt and pepper to taste
4 - 5 black garlic cloves, chopped 
Ready Rolled shortcrust pastry (or feel free to make your own - I often do)
Method
Line the 2 lb loaf tin with the shortcrust pastry.  
Cut off over-lapping excess and re-roll this to fit as a lid.
Layer the blanched asparagus stems in the loaf tin, if they are too long, just trim so to snuggly fit in the pastry case.
Then in a bowl, combine the cornflour paste with cream, eggs and feta cheese.  Season to taste.  Then pour this over the pasta in the tin, until it just covers the asparagus leaving a bit of space for the pastry lid.
Dampen the edges of the pastry with a little water, then top with the pastry lid.  Seal the edges by pressing with your thumb or fork.  Make a small hole in the top for the steam to escape.  Bake in a preheated oven gas mark 4/180oc for 45 minutes to an hour or until the pastry is golden. Leave to cool 30 minutes, before turning out and cooling for a further 30 minutes before slicing.
Best enjoyed the following day.
Keep refrigerated.

14 comments:

  1. Hope the garlic works wonders on your bunged up nose - the pie looks lovely - I am sure I would love it - and am curious about the black garlic - is it black because of balsamic vinegar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its black from the process of ageing, no flavourings are added it becomes sweet like balsamic, it is lovely. I am recovering from being poorly, some bug going around loads of my work colleagues have been off, i barely took any time off.

      Delete
  2. omg I love this idea. I would have loved to have seen the whole loaf before you cut it too... such a clever idea!= and looks so pretty. I love the polka-dot asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dom. If you follow this link, it will show you what the loaf looked like http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/ruby-red-chard-and-feta-pasta-loaf.html

      Delete
  3. Nice recipe, I have not seen black garlic here.
    Shaheen your blog and your vegetarian recipes are inspiration for people like me. Please spare some time to see my place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its relatively new to the UK. Your blog space is lovely, you get loads of comments.

      Delete
  4. Hi Shaheen, you've got some really exciting and creative recipes popping up and I'm wanting to find the time to have a go, this one sounds great. I'm looking forward to finding the first local asparagus soon. It's a lovely time of year to start finding fresh local stuff appearing. All the best xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally. Not that creative these days, I seem to have lost my place in blogging and am just not as motivated anymore. Hope you get your mitts on some asparagus soon, I know my D will try and enjoy what he can during the season. Warmest of wishes x

      Delete
  5. Hi Shaheen,
    That's picture-perfect food.
    Love the photo and I bet the slices are delicious as well.

    Happy Earth Day!

    Have a Beautiful Day!!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Chandra. Your warm wishes always, always mean a lot.

      Delete
  6. Oh my word, Shaheen, I am drooling again! Two of my favourite ingredients in one place ! It sounds wonderful, and will be SO GOOD for late spring if this weather carries on , for outdoors lunches! Lx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynne. I am so pleased you like this. I make it quite regular, just with different fillings.

      Delete
  7. What a great looking dish - and it sounds simpler than it looks! Lovely recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So fab to hear from you. hope your well. It is simple, just the pasty is a bit time consuming, but you can always cheat with ready made.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You