Friday, 31 October 2014

Vegetable Palette: Halloween Colours Round Up #4

The idea behind 'The Vegetable Palette: natures colours - natures goodness'' is to make something with either a fruit, vegetable or combination of both each month.  You can make absolutely anything that you wish - sweet or savoury -  from a soup, a salad dish, a smoothie, a juice, a stew, a hot pot, a curry, a pie, a pasta dish, cookies or even a cake  - absolutely anything, so long as the recipe is vegetarian and includes a vegetable/and or fruit with the chosen colour.  
The theme for October was Halloween Colours.   
Janet from The Taste Space shares a beautiful bowl of soup, that also has a very pretty name Three Sisters Soup (Black Bean, Corn and Squash Soup)    Janet writes that the name The Three Sisters refers to the dietary staple of the Meso-American diet: beans, corn and squash. As a vegetable grower, I learned that these three vegetables are often found growing together as they benefit from each other, well in this soup they certainly compliment each other. The recipe comes from one of her new cookbooks, Extraordinary Vegan, I have been persuaded by her to put it on my wish list. 
Kate from the Gluten Free Alchemist comes to us with Patty Pan, Purple Carrot, Pine- Nut and Cheese Muffins.  These gluten free savoury muffins are made with ingredients sourced from her local farm shop in Kent, including the purple carrots, It was Kate's first time eating and cooking with purple carrots, and she was delighted with the result.  I love the look of these muffins, as a fan of the sweet ones, its just a matter of time that savoury ones such as this one will be appearing on my table.  
Choclette from the Chocolate Log Blog comes to us with something a little more snack or a light bite - that is of course if you share it (not if you eat a whole one), its a Squash, walnut and Goats Cheese Pizza.   There is sweetness from the squash, crunch from the walnuts and tang from the Goats cheese.  Choclette dubs as the best pizza ever.  Go on over and find out why?! Psst let me give you a hint... the sauce is no ordinary tomato sauce, its chocolate tomato sauce.  Different eh?!
Kavita from Kavey Eats shares something a little more substantial Butternut Squash, Black Garlic and Blue Cheese Bake .  The bake is made with homegrown golden butternut squash, but what is more interesting is the home-made Black Garlic Cheese that was bestowed upon her by her good friend Dave (Shu the recipe is top secret!), so I insist you go on over and check out the black garlic cheese in all its black glory, you will be totally amazed - who would have funk it, black cheese!  Kavita also added some blue cheese to the bake for extra salty kick.  This definitely sounds like the kind of dish my husband would love.
Next some sweet bits, perfect for any time of the day, yes even breakfast.  Sarojini shares with us these gorgeous Pumpkin Spice Muffins with White Chocolate Frosting.  She writes Pumpkin Spice Lattes are the rage at the moment, and she is right - not just in High Street coffee shops but also blogosphere, but she steered away from the liquid form and decided to make a cake variation of it.  What you may be surprised to note about these gorgeous muffins is that they are vegan, yes even the white chocolate frosting!
And lastly, but not least Ros from More Than The Occasional Baker delights us with a Roasted Butternut Squash, Apple and Pecan Bundt Cake with Maple Cinnamon Glaze.   Ros decided to roast the butternut squash in the oven, in fact she caramelized it with some brown sugar before adding it to the cake mix with chunky chopped apples, as well as lots of warming spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and mixed spice.  And then she goes and tops it with a maple cinnamon glaze, oh my, this makes it even more appealing.  I would really like a slice of this cake with a cuppa, woudn't you? 

Thank you so so much to every one who has participated this month in the #VegetablePalette. Please do go by and check out the entries.  Also I really hope you will participate this month too. November 2014 #VegetablePalette Challenge is White Vegetables...think cauliflower,  white cabbage, kohlrabi, onions, potatoes, mushrooms, mooli, maybe even white sweetcorn or white asparagus !  For details on how to participate follow this link.   


  1. So much variety, what a great selection, thank you for your kind words!

  2. Hi Shaheen!
    What a colorful, festive round-up of inspiring dishes and recipes!!!

    I am only recently testing the waters of vegetarian meals so exploring these is going to be such fun. I have heard of the three sisters before but I must say not combined as a soup. The rest are totally new to me!

    Thanks so much for sharing, Shaheen...

    P.S. Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am delighted you will be sharing on Cookbook Wednesday. I finished the logo today. I'm going to include it on my post this Sunday for those who want to grab it before Wednesday...

    1. Thank you so much Louise.
      I'm sadly not organised enough to participate this week, but hopefully next week, but I will def. come on over.

  3. Lovely round up, thanks. And now, a confession: You may have noticed on my blog last week that I posted pumpkin spice muffins and linked to your event. But then I forgot to submit it to you :/ Sorry about that!

    1. I will add it this evening and give you a shout out on Twitter too. I've had a couple of busy weeks, so as you may have noted my blogging and blogging visits have been limited.

    2. So sorry for the delay, my internet has been terrible the past few days and I have only just got the chance to do it, plus write a blog post. I will tweet your recipe tonight too.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You