Thursday, 9 October 2014

Vegan Caramelized Onion and Potato Pierogi

Well make no mistake about its definitely Autumn and there is chill in the air. The big overcoats, snuggly scarves, knitted hats and mitts are coming out of the closet, or winter suitcase in my case.

When we got home a couple of days back, this is what we tucked into - home-made Pierogi - Polish dumplings.  I am so pleased with my first attempt ever at making pierogi from scratch at home.  I have to admit, there was flour every where and it was also a little fiddly (the crimping part especially), but once I got into the routine, it was pretty plain sailing.
I think the pierogis look very autumnal on the plate, what do you think?!

The pierogis were really really yummy and comforting to eat.  I felt like I was getting a big hug from my Nanny (bless her soul).  This is not the kind of meal to whip up on the day.  It is best made a day or two in advance or even at the weekend when you have more time to potter around.  Then when you get back home after long day out, all you have to do is simmer, then pan fry in a little olive oil.  I really really enjoyed them pan fried, all golden and crisp, and so did my husband.  The Pierogi made a fabulous change from our 30 minute pasta meals. Oh and I mustn't forget the greens on the side, steamed broccoli on the side.  
The recipe comes from Vegan Brunch.  I have the cookbook (and a number of others from both Isa and Terry), but rather than write up the whole recipe here,  just follow this link for the full recipe.  The link will take you to the awesome PPK website.  The only thing that I did differently was I stirred in the caramelized onion in with the potato filling, rather than serve it on the side.  I am so hoping to make this again.  I am sharing this post with Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes and Katie at Feeding Boys and a Firefighter for Octobers edition of Bookmarked Recipes

15 comments:

  1. I saw these on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives a while back, so many varieties of filling, then my other half bought me a copy of Jamie's comfort food - the recipe is also in this book. I've been waiting for the weekend to make them. They sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that there are lots of different fillings, including sweet ones. I haven't seen JO book, the last book I purchased of his was the one where he had a gardener growing veg and then cooking the veg. I hope you enjoy when you make them.

      Delete
  2. these look utterly gorgeous and totally moreish... I love the idea of these for a light lunch snack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dom, they were quite moreish - and anything but a light snack :)

      Delete
  3. Those look delicious!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa. they were delicious.

      Delete
  4. I think those pierogi look scrumptious! I'm glad to hear that you have a chilli in the air... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what Mark, you DID make me look at my post twice to see if I had a type :) These were scrumptious - someone has been watching Mary Berry!

      Delete
  5. Lovely idea to have some Pirogi, Shaheen.
    The caramelized onions add a ton of flavor to this dish, I bet.
    EMail me some, plz? :)

    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chandra. I preferred the onions on the inside, I'd happy to send you some over :) not by email though!

      Delete
  6. Those pierogies look wonderful - I had a housemate who used to make pierogy and I really want to make some now - will have to see if I can hunt our his recipe - though it is so many years since he gave it to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna, I was v pleased with my attempt. I hope you track down that recipe, I look forward to seeing your filling, cheesy - maybe?

      Delete
  7. I've been meaning to make pierogi now for ages, and I think you have inspired me to try soon! I've only once assembled some with my Russian uni friends back in the day, but they did all the cooking. I think that pan frying is definitely the way to go! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a go some time soon, I am hoping to make them again, perhaps with a different filling this time. I loved them pan fried, delicious, don't think I would have enjoyed them just plain boiled, well I know I would not have. I'll be over later in the day to catch up.

      Delete
  8. Pierogis are so delicious, i've only had them at Polish restaurants and never tried to make them myself. I think I may just have to set some time aside to give them a go as yours look fabulous! Thanks for hooking up with us for Bookmarked Recipes this month.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You