Monday, 13 October 2014

Vegan Smoked 'Bone' Marrow Stew

I've had a home-grown marrow sitting in the vegetable basket for weeks now, and have been wondering what to do with it.  I did not want to make another curry style dish with it, or simply stuff it with rice or vegetables, I wanted to do something different with it and so I did.  
I was inspired to make a vegan variation of Smoked 'Bone Marrow' Stew. I have lots of cook books, mostly vegetarian, but failed to find anything that got me excited, then I started surfing the Internet and stumbled upon this recipe for Smoked Bone Marrow Pasta and was inspired.  I did not copy the recipe at all, but was merely inspired by it.  The recipe for my vegan Smoked 'Bone' Marrow Stew is based on my own recipe for Smoked Paprika Bean Stew with a few smoky additions, like smoked sea salt and liquid smoke that I often use for my facon 'bacon' recipe.  
I even mashed up some chickpeas and filled the hollowed out part of the marrow, but that was just me being a bit fussy.  I was really pleased with the final dish, not just how it looked and mimicked 'bone marrow' visually, but also how it tasted too. There were lots of different levels of smokiness and hint of sweetness from the tomato sauce.  It really was good to eat.  

As this dish also contained chickpeas, lots of them - I am sharing this recipe with Nupur at the Veggie Indian as she is hosting Octobers edition of My Legume Love Affair #76.  MLLA as it is known to its fans, is a popular, legume-centred event was created by Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook.  It is now run by Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen.   I am also sharing this recipe with the lovely Emily at A Mummy Too for #Recipe of the Week 11 - 17 October 2014 

Vegan Smoked 'Bone' Marrow Stew
Serves 6 with rice
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onions, peeled and finely sliced
4 stalks of celery, peeled of stringy bits and sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 generous teaspoon smoked paprika or to taste
1- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (or anotehr teaspoon smoked paprika)
2 x 400g tins of tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1 marrow, halved, peeled.
Then slice, so that you have 6 - 8, hollow out the middle seeds with a large spoon
400ml vegetable stock
1 x 400g chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
Handful of fresh parsley, well chopped
Smoked salt and black pepper to taste
In a wide pan with a lid, heat the oil until hot.  Add the onion and saute for a little while, stirring now again to stop it from sticking and burning.  Then stir in the celery and garlic and continue to fry gently for about 10 minutes or so until vegetables become translucent, stir in the paprika and simmer for a minute or so for the flavours to infuse the vegetables.  Now add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, and cook for 15 minutes to break up the tomatoes, then stir in the sliced marrow pieces and vegetable stock and simmer for 30 minutes, carefully stirring from time to time to prevent the marrow from sticking.
After 30 minutes or so, flip over the marrow pieces and simmer until the marrow is cooked, but still has some bite (stick a fork through it to check) and the tomato sauce is beginning to thicken, then throw in the chickpeas and parsley and season to taste.  Cook for a few minutes to heat through. Serve with rice.   


  1. I wasn't sure I could even look at this when I read the title but it is a fun idea and looks great

    1. Thanks Johanna, I thought there is vegan 'pulled pork' vegan 'bacon' and so on, so thought why not - it was interesting for sure.

  2. That looks like a wonderful. hearty and seasonal dish full of flavour. I have lots of pumpkins now, so I'd do it with those. They have calcium, so it would be good for the bones too!

    1. It is really hearty and probably enough to feed 8 people really, yes - good for bones too :)

  3. Mmm, looks great. The filling would go well with other things too. I didn't get any marrows this year but agree with TYV, might try it with pumpkin.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You