Friday, 17 October 2014

Oat Chocolate Chia Pudding

Some of you will know that this week is National Chocolate Week, well here is my only chocolate offering for the week - Oat Chocolate Chia Pudding, but before I talk about the pudding I want to give my view of it as a chocolate drink.  

Oatly Oat Drink Chocolate is a Swedish dairy -free, soy free milk alternative.  Oatly has been around for years, but has recently been given a make over.  I have to say, as a vegetarian I really enjoyed the Oat Chocolate drink.   Originally when I opened the container and poured it into a glass, I did initially think, oh that looks really watered down.  It was then that I noted the words 'shake me'.  I immediately screwed the top back on and gave it a good shake.  It was much 'chocolate milk' looking.  I really liked it, I would never have been able to say that it was a dairy free alternative, but perhaps that is because when I do drink milk, and it is not that often - it is the semi skimmed type, anyway, the chocolate flavour was enough for me.  Not too sweet and not to weak
Other than just drinking the Oatly Chocolate, I decided to  make a couple of recipes from it. The first is Oat Chia Pudding loosely based on my Raspberry Chia Pudding.   Once the ingredients had swelled, I decided to blend half of it to a smoother texture.  So if you look close at the glass, you will see the two different layers.  
Instead of spooning the Oat Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding to chill overnight in a bowl, I decided to divide it between some wine glasses.  Now how often do you eat breakfast out of a wine glass?!

The following morning I tucked in, I enjoyed how the Oat Chocolate drink infused the chia seeds, but am still getting used to the gelatinous texture that is very reminisce of tapioca and sago. You don't have to have this for breakfast, be a little decadent and pour over some Oatly cream. 

If you like the look of this vegan recipe, then check out my vegan Hot Chocolate Brownies with Marshmallows.
Oat Chocolate Chia Pudding 
3 tablespoons chia seeds
375ml Oatly Oat Drink Chocolate
Place the chia seeds and the Oatly Oat Drink Chocolate in a bowl and stir.  Then chill for at least 30 minutes.  Then transfer half of the mixture to a blender and blitz until smooth.  Divide the smooth mixture between two to three bowls (or wine glasses), then top with the other mixture for two tone effect; or alternate.  Chill overnight, before enjoying the following day. Oh yes, please do remove from the fridge at least 20 minutes before you want to tuck in, so that it can return to room temperature. 


  1. I love the layered look and breakfast from a wine glass but I am a bit wary of chia seeds in these cold puddings despite quite liking them in other food (my latest discovery is french toast - wonder if you could do chocolate french toast with this milk)

    1. Thanks Johanna, I should have added remove from the fridge about 20 - 30 minutes from the fridge to return to room temperature to enjoy. I am sure you would be able to do French toast with the milk.

  2. Chia seeds are interesting. I've been very unadventurous with them so far. I tried eating them on their own but found they didn't taste of much, so now I add them to my museli mix, add the soya milk and leave the bowl to stand for a few minutes before eating. It makes my other museli ingredients like sunflower seeds easier to digest as well (or so I've read).
    The recipe looks really nice as usual!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You