Friday, 10 October 2014

BBQ Purple Kale Crisps

I know this bowl looks like a bowl full of dried up Autumn leaves, but let me assure you that these leafy greens are edible.  Its a bowl of healthy BBQ Kale crisps.  

I've made Kale Crisps a number of times, but its the first time that I have made some that are BBQ flavoured. 
I picked up this purple kale came from a Farmers market in Monmouthshire a couple of weeks back, sadly those that I have had growing in my garden have been attacked by beasties. 

These kale crisps are heavily coated on both sides with a thick layer of BBQ sauce. This particular Extra Hot Habenero BBQ sauce comes from Jack Daniels.  It is both suitable for vegans and vegetarians. I loved the flavour of this one, with not just the smokiness coming through, but also the heat and warmth from the habenero. 
When the kale crisps came out of the oven, I left them on the side for a moment or two, whilst I looked for little airtight tubs to transfer them too.  When I got back, the mountain of crisp kale (okay I exaggerate a little) had shrunk, they really had shrunk! as D's big man hands had got to some of them.  I was quite surprised he liked them, as in the past he hasn't been that enthused by them, perhaps the BBQ flavours appealed to him more.   

Anyway I still have half a jar of these packed in an airtight container and will be nibbling on them tonight with a glass of red wine.  Thank goodness for Friday nights. 


BBQ Purple Kale Crisps
Ingredients
Preheat oven to gas mark 5/190oc.
2 bunches of kale, leaves removed from the stalks, washed and dried thoroughly
160g cashew nuts
1 garlic clove
4 - 6 tablespoons BBQ sauce  (I used Jack Daniels Extra Hot Habenero; or BBQ Sauce Smooth Original
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
In a wide mouth food processor (or Optimum 9400 Blender) whizz up all the ingredients except for the kale to a thick paste. If the mixture is too thick, stir in a teaspoon or two of water into the mix then whizz gain, then transfer the mixture to a large bowl, throw in the kale.
Use your hands to ensure the nutty BBQ paste is distributed evenly and by this I mean massage well between the leafy greens.  
Then lay them apart on a non-stick baking tray, then bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, turning over half-way.  Keep an eye on them, as they can easily go way too crisp! Allow to cool, before enjoying or transferring to an airtight container. 

10 comments:

  1. They look amazing. I'm really in to veg crisps at moment. Defo give these a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like veg crisp loads, but I still can't help myself with the potato ones either.

      Delete
  2. I've enjoyed kale crisps (we call them chips) before but never thought to put a flavouring on them - what a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, yes I was thinking about mentioning chips too, but then did not want to confuse British readers as chips is what you call fries. I hope you get to experiment more with kale chips! :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds marvelous and seasonal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since these have the chilli-flavoured BBQ sauce, you know I would approve! Actually many people who say they dislike kale love it when made into crisps. Maybe they just dislike the texture when it is boiled or steamed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I knew you would and the chilli comes through for sure. I think you may like my new post of BBQ Butter too. I like kale however its cooked, but your right - lots of people don't seem to.

      Delete
  5. I love kale crisps and these look like a fab flavourful twist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really spicy Nic. Hope your well x

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You