Sunday, 19 October 2014

Yarn Bombing People Like Us

Every other weekend, I will go into Cardiff, sometimes for window shopping or sometimes for pleasure, but last month, I found myself having to go into the Cardiff Bay area for a meeting.  I was there a little too early, so decided to walk along the Mermaid Quay, when I saw what made me smile.  I've seen this cluster of statues before, they are called 'People Like Us' representing the cultural and ethnic diversity of Cardiff - past and present. The dog, woman and man had all been given a cosy and colourful make-over with some gorgeous knits, otherwise known as yarn bombing. The statue woman is wearing a headband, flowers wrapped around her arm like a bracelet as well as the knitted bikini, the man knitted shorts and the dog a bandana.  I became aware of yarn bombing first when I lived in Glasgow, one example was finding this little monkey with a knitted hat at the Glasgow Botanical Garden.  

Anyway, this particular yarn bombing came courtesy of a South Wales based yarn guerrilla-ists called Woolly Welsh Wo/Men.  The aim of the Woolly Welsh Wo/Men is to make your smile (it certainly does);  produce occasional quirky yarn stormings; and beautify the local.  Whenever I see yarn bombing, its makes me all envious and wish I could crochet or knit. I try and give up, every time.


For other photographs that I've taken in and around Cardiff, such as The Animal Wall; The Millennium Stadium; and Cardiff Vegetarian Festival - click on the links. I've been looking for a good reason to share this picture and found it this morning when I stumbled upon Jibber Jabber UK requests for links to Sunday Snap.

10 comments:

  1. Brilliant! I love a bit of yarn bombing and it certainly makes me smile whenever I see some. We missed this when we visited Cardiff Bay earlier in the year. Thanks for finding Sunday Snap and linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting and giving me the opportunity to share this picture.

      Delete
  2. I love this so quirky , I am going to learn myself crochet this winter , i have finally decided as i love anything crochet , got the dvd of how to do it all i need are the wool and hooks now xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love yarnbombing too, this one is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yarn bombing is so great, it always makes me smile too when I see some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Yarn Bombing, thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks really good! Lovely to see some bright colours on a grey day. I didn't know about yarn bombing; makes me wish I was better at knitting too- soups, cakes and sauces- no problem; but give me a pair of knitting needles and I produce mis-shapen, holey rags :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its lovely to see, certainly makes me smile. Wish I could crochet for sure.

      Delete
  7. Shaheen,
    Your group must be certainly very good with knitting.
    Even the dog has a lovely bandana.
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You