Tuesday, 1 November 2016

World Vegan Day: Burmese Yellow Split Pea Samosa Soup

Oh can it be true? Yes indeed!  Two of my favourite dishes on one big bowl: South Asian style spicy Dal and deep fried triangles of delicious Samosa.

Today it is World Vegan Day and the start of Vegan Mofo.   I have no set theme for the month of November, so I will probably follow some of the Vegan Mofo themes and prompts. The theme today is what is your favourite food?  I am of South Asian heritage and very fond of my Dals and deep fried snacks including the pakora aka onion bhaji.  I consider both these dishes to be comfort food in my eyes, so you can imagine my delight when I stumbled across the recipe a few years back. 
Inspired by a Burmese Samusa Thouk they had at San Francisco's Burma Superstar  in 2007, the food blogger NCJay went back home and re-created a version.  And guess what Samusa Thouk is still featured today at the Burma Superstar restaurant.   Burma Superstar assert that it remains one of their most popular soups for vegetarians and meat eaters alike.  Well I don't think I will be travelling from Wales, United Kingdom to San Francisco anytime soon, so I am pleased this recipe was recreated in their home so that I could enjoy it in my home here in the Welsh valleys and shared with my readers as well as those of you visiting my blog for the first time through Vegan Mofo on World Vegan Day.
I think this Burmese Yellow Split Pea Dal is perfect to share on World Vegan Day as its very different from those dals you find in South Asian homes and eateries.  It contains an added ingredient in the form of shredded white cabbage.  Most Indian style dals are just made with the lentil and spices and then simmered slowly to be transformed into something quite simple, yet delicious.

The Samosa drowning in the Yellow Split Pea Dal Soup acts like a crusty bread roll or croutons.  This combination may sound a bit unusual, but it makes sense to me as my family do eat samosa this way but its with salad and a raita and then crushed into those components into a spoonful of messy deliciousness.  I won't fib, the samosa's are homemade, but not by me.  My sister in law sometimes makes me a batch that I put in the freezer and shallow fry at home when snack attacks, but feel free to make your own or even buy from a good South Asian take-away. I also loved the sharp tangy undertones of the tamarind that was soothing on my throat. 
Even though the Burmese Yellow Split Pea Soup was tad too spicy for me, I loved it.  We had it over the weekend when the Welsh weather outside turned a little nippy.  My original thoughts were this would be like a starter, but to be truthful - we were both way to full the rest of the evening to eat anymore, other than grazing on some left over Birthday cake.  Once again Happy World Vegan Day.


I am sharing the Burmese Yellow Split Pea Soup with Inheritance Recipes co hosted by Solange at Pebble Soup and Coffee and Vanilla as this recipe combines two dishes from my heritage: Dal and Samosa.  

I am also sharing it with  Soups, Salads and Sammies hosted by Kahakai Kitchen; Sneaky VegHijacked by Twins for CookBlog ShareMy Legume Love Affair that was started by The Well Seasoned Cook and now administed by Lisa's Kitchen.  this month is is hosted by Briciole; Honest Mum for Brilliant Blog Posts; and finally Healthy Vegan Fridays hosted by Rock My Vegan Socks and V Nutrition.


Burmese Yellow Split Pea Samosa Soup 
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients 
240g yellow split peas, soaked overnight then washed and drained.  
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 - 3 chillies, minced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
300g about 1/2 white cabbage, shredded
2 pints vegetable stock
Salt to taste
1 - 2 teaspoon tamarind concentrate
Optional: tin of chickpeas or even black or brown chickpeas
Garam masala for garnish
4-6 deep fried samosas
Fresh coriander, minced
Bean sprouts
Method
In a wide pan, heat the oil, then saute the onions, after a few minutes stir n the garlic and cook on low heat until very soft, then stir in the spices to coat the soft onions.  
Then stir in the cabbage. saute for a few minutes before stirring in all of the soaked lentils and the vegetable stock.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to cook for 45minutes up to an hour for the split peas to cook, soften and break down an the cabbage to almost melt into this spicy concoction.
Stir now and again to stop it from sticking at the bottom of the pan, and top of with extra water if necessary.
Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, stir in the tamarind concentrate to taste and optional chickpeas.
Heat for a few minutes, then ladle into bowls generously topped off with a crispy deep fried samosa.  
Garish with garam masala, fresh coriander and bean sprouts.  
Enjoy.
Adapted from La Emisora  de la Revolucion and you may also be interested in reading this post about Samosa Soup too.



28 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I love a dal too. I agree, the absolute comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kath. So good to hear from you. Hugs x

      Delete
  2. I've never seen a dal with samosas in, and now it's all I want to eat! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey, its a bit of a novelty for me too, but my sis in law told me today its quite popular and she's had it - I said then why had she not told me about it. Its good.

      Delete
  3. Yum! We had dal for dinner last night x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, perfect for the autumnal season and very warming in colour and flavours

      Delete
  4. Oh yum. I didn't even know it was World Vegan Day and Vegan MoFo was completely off my radar. I will be happy to enjoy your feed this month instead. Life is definitely different now post-baby ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Janet, its understandable with a newborn in your life. Hope you enjoy my contributions

      Delete
  5. What a lovely recipe to honour World Vegan Day and kick start MoFo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kari, i am quite pleased with it - even though my sis in law made the samosa's so a little cheat

      Delete
  6. Dal and samonsa sounds excellent to me - though if too spicy for you I would probably need to put my head in a bucket of water :-) Good luck with vegan mofo - I will look forward to seeing what you come up with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, I used fresh chillies and I did not expect the potency of it...fire in my throat. So reduce it, i will next time. Thanks for your lovely comment as always

      Delete
  7. International dishes for World Vegan Day are a great idea! A samosa soup also seems like such an amazing concept that I can't believe I've never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay - your the first person to comment on my blog via VeganMofo thanks and welcome to my humble blog. Now you have heard of this dish, you must try it.

      Delete
  8. This looks SO good! I love dal, never tried it together with samosa's though (only as an appetizer before the dal ;)).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sara, it was really really good.

      Delete
  9. I make dal all of the time but never think to put a samosa in it. It looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb, yes me too - its so comforting to eat. I hope to join in again.

      Delete
  10. I never had a Dal that had cabbage in it. I bet that's really tasty.

    This soup looks amazing. What a great way to kick off MoFo. I don't think I'll be able to partake in too many MoFo challenges but I love seeing everyone else's creations. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary Ellen. The cabbage does disintegrate, you would not know it is there. Yes, Vegan Mofo truth is I am beginning to struggle too.

      Delete
  11. Your split pea soup sounds good! I would especially enjoy it with samosas. I really enjoy lentil dishes with samosas. They are so cumbersome to make - it's nice someone makes them for you sometimes =) I have never tried making them myself.
    "I don't think I will be travelling from Wales, United Kingdom to San Francisco anytime soon" Let me know if you change your mind. We could meet up ;)
    Thanks so much for sharing this at Healthy Vegan Fridays - I'm pinning & sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy.
      Your right they are combersome to make, i think that is why my sis in law waits for her friend to come over and they make it together then it does not feel like a hardship and more pleasure. she often makes meat ones, but makes some veggie for me. Ah yes, visit t San Fran. maybe one day . Thank you, may take you up on that

      Delete
  12. Oh, lovely. Thank you for sharing this with us! I have never heard of samosa soup but it looks and sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot. It really is a tasty dish - do please try it one day

      Delete
  13. You reference to Burma Superstar made me discover that they have more than one location in the Bay Area, not only the one in San Francisco that I knew about, so I'll be visiting the one in Oakland soon. I can imagine how comforting this soup is. Thank you for contributing to My Legume Love Affair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. on that is interesting Simona.
      Ah you in Oakland or near there, I've been there - that is where my true best friend lives.
      Thank you for hosting

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You