Thursday, 10 November 2016

Roasted Aloo Gobi Salad

This  Warn Aloo Gobi Salad aka Roasted Potato Cauliflower Salad was really yummy.

What elevated this salad was the seeds, especially the Kolonji, onion seeds known these days as nigella seeds.  
We ate this Roasted Warm Aloo Gobi Salad with a little drizzle of tangy tamarind sauce or even mango sauce if you prefer sweetness.  The seeds added both spice and crunch.  There was also crunch from the curly kale that crisped up in the oven, but if you still want additional texture maybe some poppadom crisps or pitta chips.  I was thinking about tinkering with this further by throwing in some chickpeas, but decided against it as I was concerned they would have dried out too much, but popping beans are quite trendy at the moment - so I was kicking myself after, so maybe next time.  

Vegan Mofo prompt today is Fusion Food.    This Warm Aloo Gobi Salad is essentially a Aloo Gobi Curry or even Bombay Potato - what makes this fusion is that it is baked in the oven, turned into a warm salad.  
Roasted Aloo Gobi Salad
Serves 4
Ingredients
1 red onion, thickly sliced
200g new potatoes, parboiled
1 large cauliflower, broken into florets
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
Optional: 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes or ground chilli
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon  nigella seeds
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Handful of curly kale, stalks removed
Method
In a wide bowl, toss in the vegetables (except for the kale), oil and spices and stir well to coat.
Transfer to a baking tin.
Roast in oven gas mark 4/180oc for 30 minutes or  until tender.
Then stir in the curly kale.  
Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, then return to oven and cook for a further 10 - 15 minutes until crisps.
Serve immediately with optional mango chutney, tamarind sauce.

10 comments:

  1. I love cauliflower!
    This salad looks so good. :)

    VEGETARIAN COURTESYFACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know nigella seeds were onion seeds! You taught me something today ๐Ÿ˜„
    This looks delicious. I love cauliflower and curries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heaven, heaven, heaven. I remember my dad making gobi aloo saag when we were kids, and it's still one of my favourite dishes of all time - this reminds me of that, and it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey.
      This salad style was a nice change and much more lighter to eat too

      Delete
  4. great idea - roasted vegies are so yummy and your spicy additions sound interesting (though no chilli for me please)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can def. reduce the chilli or sub it with black pepper!

      Delete
  5. Great fusion! This sounds like a wonderful salad with so many flavours =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimmy, it made for a change

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You