Sunday, 6 November 2016

Curried Welsh Shepherds Pie with Turmeric Mash Topping

We took the car into the garage yesterday which scuppered the rest our plans for the day, but the car had to go in as it has a slow puncture and living in the Welsh valleys, we need a mode of transport to get us to and fro work and every where else in between and beyond.  

So when I got back home, I lazed around for a while, then it dawned on me - got to eat - so I went into the kitchen and decided to make an Indo Anglo Welsh version of Shepherds Pie.  What is Welsh about this?   There are leeks in this and a number of other Welsh ingredients from Blas Y Tir  including the potatoes mashed on top. And the cook herself, is very Welsh too.  
The yellow turmeric mash flecked with red chilli flakes and coriander  was really lovely, almost reminisce of a good vegetable samosa.  The filling is made with textured vegetable protein (TVP) that mimics minced 'lamb', it was mildly spiced.   Have a knife and fork ready to tuck in, but a spoon would work too. 

The colours of the Curried Welsh Shepherds Pie are spot on for the Autumnal seasonal colours around us which are really stunning at the moment.  I just wish I was motivated to step outside today, but I just wanted to snuggle indoors and doss around in the house. D did not protest too much about wanting to go out either, so we both just chilled - neither of us looking forward to going into work tomorrow. 
Vegan Mofo prompt today is Comfort Food.  I have to admit, I have already posted my idea of comfort food with the Samosa Soup recipe.  So I had to approach comfort food from a different angle.  Shepherds Pie and Cottage Pie are dishes that make my husband happy and that makes me happy and gives me comfort.  I have also been finding the  soft mash rather comforting and those of you who have been reading my bog for a long time will find that surprising as I don't do mash finding it close to baby food, but this weekend I have been finding it soothing for my throat which continues to be sore - another visit to the GP is on the cards.

As D was eating this Curried Welsh Pie he said it reminded him of another dish that I make. When prompted which one? He said the vegan Mexican Tamale Pies which is similar in filling but is finished of with a polenta topping, so I agree with him to some extent.   

Curried Welsh Shepherds Pie with Turmeric Mash Topping
Serves 6 generously or 2 people over 3 days
Ingredients
200g TVP reconstituted and then drained of excess liquid. Set aside

2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, minced
2 medium leeks from Blas Y Tir, washed well of grit and sliced
2 - 3 garlic cloves, crushed
250g carrots, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1-11/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes (or fresh, minced)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon of fresh coriander, minced
1 x 400g tinned tomatoes, chopped
1/4 pint vegetable stock
Optional: 1 x 400g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Salt and pepper to taste

600g Blas Y Tir potatoes, mashed with vegan margarine
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 - 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon fresh coriander, minced
Method
Cook the beans according to the packet instructions, then drain and set aside.
In a wide pan, heat the oil, then add in the leeks and cook on medium heat until it begins to soften, then stir in the garlic, cumin, coriander and chilli flakes and cook for a few minutes for the spices to mingle and the garlic to soften with the leeks.
Then stir in the chopped tomatoes, crushing them further with a spoon.
Leave to cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes are well integrated.
Stir in the carrots and reconstituted TVP and cook until tender and stock.
Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer until  it has thickened. 
Stir in optional chickpeas if using.
Turn off and transfer contents into a large ovenproof dish.
To the mashed potatoes, stir in the turmeric, chilli and herbs.  
Then carefully cover the pie filling distributing evenly. 
Bake in preheated oven, gas mark 5/200oc for 45-50 minutes or until golden and bubbling on the side.  
Serve immediately.  
Adapted from this Fiery Chilli Welsh Red Dragon Pie
I am sharing this  with Casa Costello and Mummy Mishaps for Bake of the Week Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Searching for Spice;  and Simple and In Season hosted by  Feeding Boys;  

20 comments:

  1. Mm, that looks tasty. Love a bit of mash, especially will a bit of extra flavouring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belinda, it was very popular in our home too, just polished it off today - all gone now.

      Delete
  2. Looks good to me - I always struggle with leeks due to the grit factor, but I know they're worth it in the end. I love the colour of the mash topping. It's just one of those dishes that you know will be good for a cold winter's night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey. My advice to get the grit is to slice it lenghways but not right to the core, it must hold then wash the grit under the sink, then slice. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  3. This looks positively delicious and oh so comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hope you had a car for work - I love how your shepherd's pie has a yellow topping - that is very zeitgist to have a tumeric topping and it just sounds like a perfect dish to make while stuck at home in autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we did, the tyre was repaired. I love your word zeitgist made me smile

      Delete
  5. this is proper comfort food but with a twist, which is great for this time of year. I love all of the flavours you have added and the colours look very autumnal. Thank you for linking up to #BakeoftheWeek

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shepherd's pie always looks so inviting, and I love your fusion cuisine here! I think I've only ever used TVP once, it's my most overlooked meat substitute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting as TVP is perhaps the one i used the most, esp. in Tamale pie.

      Delete
  7. I do love a good shepherds pie and really like the turmeric in the potato topping on this one. I don't make potato topped pies very often as my husband doesn't like mashed potato and so I think it's become something that I enjoy even more when I do get to eat it! Thanks so much for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Corina. Ah that is interesting cos i don't like mash describe it as babyfood, but its comfort food for my husband - its the opposite in our home

      Delete
  8. This is beautiful - what a great twist on traditional shepherds pie.

    I hope your car tyre is all sorted now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari. Yes, the tyre was sorted over the w/e we got into work and back...

      Delete
  9. Not only is this pie gorgeous (love the yellow potato "crust") it sounds super delicious and filling. Very much the ideal of comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimmy, it made for a fantastic change from the traditional vegan Shepherds Pie we have, and yes - very comforting

      Delete
  10. This looks absolutely wonderful and perfect for my veggie boys!!! Thanks so much for hooking up with this month's round of Simple and in Season with such a warming recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie.
      It's just a fancier version of British Shepherds Pie with a South Asian twist

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You