Tuesday, 8 November 2016

vegan Soft Cashew Nut 'Cheese' Spread

I am not organised enough today cook something from a country on the other side of the world, so for Vegan Mofo prompt Far Away  I share something that I associate with the vegan Western world - non dairy nut 'cheese' spread.
I have been wanting to make both a hard and soft spreadable vegan 'cheese' for a while.  The first time I came across a vegan alternative for 'cheese'  was in an old secondhand copy of a 1970s vegan paperback cookbook that I found a charity shop in Glasgow.  This vegan cheese alternative was made with soy flour. I wanted t make it, but at the time I could not track down soy flour, then I forgot all about it  (I must dig out the cookbook), but in the last 10 years there has been a rise of modern and contemporary versions are made with rejuvenac and probiotic capsules. 

Today though, I am still keeping it basic or traditional as this is the first time I have made a spreadable vegan cashew 'cheese' spread.  I did not want any hard to get ingredients like those mentioned above. 
The recipe made quite a fair bit.  I ended up with eight of these heart ramekins.  I gave most of it away as I was not sure how long it would last.  To make them different, I decided to douse smoked paprika and parsley over some of them.  

The verdict by my vegan, vegetarian and omnivore Guinea pig colleagues was that it was really tasty.  Some compared it to cottage cheese, some to goats cheese and some to hummus.  They all enjoyed it and said they would be happy to have it on their plate with crackers.  

Here is a link to 14 Vegan Cheeses including one from the awesome Maple Spice whom I discovered when I first started blogging in 2009 sadly due to illness she is taking time out from blogging.   My version is adapted from In Vegetables We Truest and Olives for Dinner

10 comments:

  1. I really love cashew cheese - though there are so many of them that I am not sure I have tasted ones like this that look like it is drained which I don't usually do. I love your heart ramekins and would be curious to see the soy flour recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. I liked it and your right so many cashew nut recipes but they are much of a muchness. These are not drained, though I had sort of expected that - one thing i did expect was it to plop out of the ramekins, but it did not and was a smooth consistency. I may try the soy flour one, if not i will share the recipe with you

      Delete
  2. If this is like hummus then there is a good chance I would like it.

    You don't need the Gary range ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like it, my omnivore friends were the ones who compared it to hummus, the vegan friends were just appreciative to get anything that mimicked cheese. I know what your saying about Gary, but i am still curious about it. I am one of those people who does like to try things at least once, and as long as they are veggie of course

      Delete
  3. That looks yummy...I think I have enough almond pulp leftover from making almond milk in the freezer to make some 'cheese'...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some years ago I was bemoaning the lack of goat cheese in my vegan life and was researching different producers to see if there was one that I could get behind--and then Matt made some nut cheese. And a whole new world opened up. I didn't need goat cheese anymore as there we so many variations to play around with in the nut cheese world. At our wedding my very meat-and-potatoes uncles couldn't believe it was made from nuts. I took that as high praise. ...we should make some cheese here soon, I think, as this is the second time I've come across someone talking about it online today without even trying. Must be a sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah must be a sign, to be honest when i had this it tasted like goats cheese to me, then my judgement got clouded by other peoples views of what it tasted like to them. Indeed that is praise when a 2 veg and meat potato Uncle likes the vegan cheez you serve. Yes make it. Hope your both well.

      Delete
  5. Oh how I love cashew cheese! I remember when I went vegan, there was only one vegan cheese available. And it was terrible :/ I didn't like it at all. I wish I would have known then that I could make my own super delicious cashew cheese.
    I love your heart shaped containers! They are so cute. And adding the parsley & paprika really make the cheese look pretty. These would make really nice holiday gifts actually =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimmy. The heart shaped ramekins are effective and the sprinkling of the the parsley and paprika made the cashew cheez more interesting.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You