Tuesday, 15 November 2016

Rainbow Carrots, Puy Lentil and Barley Salad

I had plans to make a Rainbow Carrot Tart with these Rainbow Carrots for evening supper, but that idea was quickly dropped when I realised we had no bread to make sandwiches for lunch and I did not fancy pasta again, so this Barley and Lentil Salad was cobbled together with what other ingredients I had in the kitchen cupboards.

I found it to be really, really nice.  There was a comforting chew from the barley, bite from the rainbow carrots that also made me feel rather cheery every time I tucked in to take a spoonful from my lunch box.  The Puy lentils just added that soft salty poppets of flavour and a final flurry of spring onions aka scallions.  I want more salads like this for winter.  
Vegan Mofo theme this week is Rainbow Food and the prompt today is Multicolour Food.  

Other Rainbow Coloured Vegan Recipes 
Rainbow Chard Bundles
Harissa Rainbow Carrots with Maftoul
Rainbow Bell Pepper Spaghetti
Rainbow Vegetables with Soba Noodles
To see more graffiti art click here

I am sharing this Rainbow Carrots, Puy Lentil and Barley Salad with Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen. for No Croutons Required and Soups, Salads and Sammies hosted by Kahakai Kitchen;  

16 comments:

  1. I love your ideas for rainbow carrots - I wish I had more inspiration when I see them at the farmers markets - sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna. There were not that many rainbow carrots this year, last year I got lucky, but still can't gripe got some.

      Delete
  2. Aww you got some rainbow carrots now! I haven't seen any again for ages. This dish looks so nice and vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The indoor market where I work, one of the grocers there had some - not the best I've seen, but enough for me to pick some up. Last year there was a bigger selection. Still got some - just.

      Delete
  3. This looks like a really good combo! I'll have to try it :)
    Are you from Wales? My Grandfather is from Wales but moved to Australia in the 70's. Are there some traditional Welsh meals you've veganised?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chelsey.
      Yes I am from Wales, type in Welsh vegan and you will find some traditional Welsh meals veganised. Hope you like including Welshcakes!

      Delete
  4. Lovely colors. I had some earlier in the year but none since. Glad you enjoyed them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e. Rainbow carrots are lovely this time of year.

      Delete
  5. This is a perfect match for my barley mood :-) It looks like a delicious salad and a nice alternative to barley in soup form.

    Thanks for your well wishes too. This cold seems very persistent! I hope your own cough has been resolved after seeing the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased Kari. It was quite yummy, unlike the one I had today which was just okay. I have the GPs appointment tomorrow morning, so we will see - no more antibiotics i hope

      Delete
  6. So pretty! What a lovely salad.... I love rainbow carrots but mostly can't get them locally. I can't eat the barley, but could mix some lentils with quinoa as an alternative xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Kate. I struggled too and just got lucky this time, but had to pick the best amongst a bunch that were getting a bit old. Yes, you could def. sub the barley with quinoa or something else.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the bright colors in this salad and barley is one of my favorite grains--I love the chewiness that it has. Thanks for sharing with Souper Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Deb. Hopefully i will have something else to share this week too

      Delete
  9. So colourful! I really dislike when I have a set plan for something and it doesn't work out, but at least you managed to figure it out alright. And it turned out quite well =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did turn out well, and it was quite nice too

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You