Saturday, 5 November 2016

Horseradish and Beetroot Powder Popcorn for Grown Ups

I am such a moody person, I don't have one late night snack I go to, its depends how I feel.

These days late night snacking for me can be nacho and dip or hummus with pitta chips or simply Marmite on toast , but there are night when it can also popcorn in all its many flavours Turmeric Garam Masala and chilli, Wasabi Popcorn, Black Pepper and Salt Popcorn, Rosemary and Chilli PopcornSumac Popcorn  and more recently Beetroot and horseradish.  This is popcorn for grown ups. 
I don't really do sweet popcorn and find it a bit sickly, though recently whilst looking at a bottle of ginger syrup in my kitchen cupboards, I got thinking about making some gingerbread popcorn for Christmas festivities.

I've picked up some beetroot powder, tomato powder, lemon powder, spinach powder, horseradish powder and a number of others and have been thinking of ways to use them in my sweet and savoury baking and cooking.  I have used it in shortcrust pastry and popcorn so far, so thought this would be good to share tonight for Vegan Mofo prompt of Late Night Snack.   
This Horseradish and Beetroot Powder Popcorn is an acquired taste, so don't bother making it unless you like both the ingredients, unless of course you just want to marvel at the colour. 


This Horseradish and Beetroot Powder Popcorn is also perfect for this evening, especially with it being Remember Remember the 5th of November.  Its also the Million Mask March -  This is a global phenomenon with thousands of ordinary people and supporters of Anonymous around the world will wear a Guy Fawkes masks will protest against capitalism, erosion of civil liberties, corruption, surveillance, austerity measures and much more.  The Million Mask March was popularised by the graphic novel and film V for Vendetta.  I have lived in Scotland where Guy Fawkes and Bonfire Night takes on different meaning and I have respected that,  but the truth is I have never really participated in it either as a child or as an adult - I've always felt a little uncomfortable in that environment and am glad to get home asap.  The closest to fireworks I get is either from the window of my home or those sparklers you see on cakes and in cocktails.
For this Horseradish and Beetroot Popcorn: I coated a wide pan with tight fitting lid with a neutral oil.  Turn the heat to high, add the popping corn kernels to cover the bottom of the pan and sprinkle it with salt. Give it a good stir and put the lid on.  Within a couple of minutes, it should start popping, give it  shake now and again.  When the popping has stopped. Turn off the heat. Remove from the hob and stir in the beetroot powder and horseradish powder to taste.
Put into a large bowl and tuck in. 

6 comments:

  1. It looks really pretty - I gather you just sprinkle the powder on without any oil or butter or margarine. I have beetroot powder and kale powder and now wonder if I should make some popcorn - though I don't think I could do the horseradish powder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. Thanks from nudging me indirectly I forgot to post the recipe for what it it. Yes, after the popcorn has been cooked as it will burn. I've up-dated the post - horseradish is not as strong as wasabi, but it does have some intensity.

      Delete
  2. I always only have savoury pop corn and this idea is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah good to know, though I am tempted by the idea of gingerbread popcorn which will be sweet. But I truly am a savoury person by heart

      Delete
  3. I quite enjoy popcorn as a late night snack! But my popcorn is super boring, just plain boring coconut oil & sea salt. This inspires me to be more adventurous. This is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah time to get experimental Kimmy, so many ideas.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You