Sunday, 6 November 2016

Snake Beans In My Kitchen

I have lots of new things in my kitchen, like new tea-towels and a new kettle and a gorgeous retro umbrella shaped cake stand that I picked from Crock and Cosy in Rye, East Sussex, but I haven't got round to taking a picture of any of these, so this is a short post to share some things that I have managed to photograph  in what is becoming a dark kitchen with the changing season. 
I picked up these ceramic celery, garlic and tomato pieces from the flea market in Bristol a little while back.  I am not quite sure of their purpose, but they could serve either as spoon rests or to hold olives maybe, or maybe they are just designed to be admired.  The vegetarian and vegetable grower in me could not resist bringing them home with me. 
I've purchased Snake Beans also known as Yard Long Beans from the Bangladeshi grocers before, but forgot about them and then turned brown and had to be put into the compost bin.  I have a couple of ideas what I want to do with this.  the obvious thought would be a Bangladeshi curry which is what the woman at the grocers advised, but I am still thinking about it.  Have any of you cooked with Snake Beans and have any new ideas for me.   
Some little pumpkins picked up from a farmers market.  Too pretty to eat, at the moment they are still on my table being admired, but they will be consumed soon, perhaps in a pasta salad for a working lunch.
We went to Glastonbury not last weekend, but the before previous and I loved visiting Earthfare Wholefoods.  I could have spend a good hour in there browsing the shelves, but.  I picked up some sprouts and some spices including Tograshi Spice Blend (Japanese), Garlic Salt and Horseradish Powder which I used yesterday for my Beetroot and Horseradish Popcorn
Some of you may remember that a little while back I picked up some Korean Chilli Powder, well I finally got round to making some vegan Kimchi at home.  It is still fermenting.  I will give you my verdict soon.  A friend at work of Slovac heritage also gave me a jar of homemade Dandelion honey, which I hope to share later in the month with you as its accidentally vegan - she had not intended it to be vegan. 
I had the nephews and nieces over early in the month and made some Red Quinoa, Sweet Potato  and Chilli Burgers adapted from my Parsnip and Quinoa Burger recipe.  I do like a good veggie burger, its just a shame I don't make them as often as I used to a couple of years back when I was running the vegetarian cafe. 
I have been experimenting a lot with Japanese Sea Vegetables Salad and Green Nori Sprinkle.  Some of you may remember my luxurious Vish Ocean Pie.  The latest being these Fish Free Sea Vegetable Cakes.  I will share the recipe soon as these are vegan.  
I have some large bottles of Stubbs Legendary Bar B Q Sauce.  Majority of Stubbs products are suitable for vegans and vegetarians.   I am looking forward to using it for Buffalo Cauliflower Wings.  I have been using Stubbs hickory liquid smoke for a while, mostly in my facon bacon, including the most recent coconut facon bacon and seitan variation too. 
A friend at work introduced me to Twinnings Intensely Beetroot Burst Fruit teas.  I drink the lemon and ginger a lot, but these were new and I liked them very much, so I have been drinking it a lot and in the evenings I always have a cup of my favourite Celestial  Bengal Spice, the spices hit me right in the back of the throat which I like and the smell is amazing too.  
In the fridge we have Koko Dairy Free alternative to milk and some milled linseed that are being sprinkled over porridge when I can be bothered to make it
And finally some Peri Peri Rub and Dosa Podi flour mix.  I'm looking forward to playing with this during the weekend.  

I am sharing this Vegan Mofo edition of  In my Kitchen with our new host Bizzy Lizzy's Good Things.  In My Kitchen is a event for food bloggers to share what in their kitchen from all around the world, it was started by Celia who blogs over at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial    If you interested you may want to take a peek at  Vegan Month in my kitchen last year.   

22 comments:

  1. Wonderful things in your kitchen. I especially love the snake beans, pumpkins and the burgers. I've been using the liquid smoke as well quite a lot, it's really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Liquid smoke is a wonderful thing in a vegetarians kitchen.

      Delete
  2. I love the Bengal Spice tea, too. I just started drinking it again.
    For the long beans, I will admit they were not my favourite but this is how I ate them: https://tastespace.wordpress.com/2013/01/31/szechuan-green-beans-and-red-pepper/
    I look forward to seeing what you make and don't let them make their way into the compost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah nice to know there are other fans amongst my fellow bloggers that like Bengal Spice. I am cooking with the yard long beans this evening, a bit of an experiment..., def. not for the compost bin (not sure about the okra Ipicked up for my husband - i forgot to share that on the IMK post) I will keep you recipe in mind for next time, Thanks Lisa appreciate your suggestion.

      Delete
  3. Happy November to you, lovely one. Thank you for the very kind shout out! I like those ceramics too, so cheerful. Your snake beans look so fresh and delicious. Buffalo cauliflower wings sound interesting! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lizzy. The snake beans are imported all the way from Malaysia, i am cooking with them this evening and hope to share the recipe soon.

      Delete
  4. I adore snake beans. My nonna used to grow them for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah nice to know, got any recipes from your Nonna - always looking for ideas

      Delete
  5. Wow that is a lot of good stuff - I love perusing herbal teas but have not seen that beetroot burst (hope I do), I guessed that the cute little vegie dishes were spoon holders but I think they would be fun to load with little vegies for dips, those pumpkins are adorable (as sylvia would say), and I am obviously plaiting sylvia's hair too much as I can only wonder if you can plait those snake beans and use them on some sort of quiche that way :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I thought I did not have much to share for IMK then it turns out that i do have stuff :) Ah I do like your plait idea but not this time, they are in the oven. I hope to share soon what i made with them and if it was good or just okay, thanks for the idea though - may try it next time, def. possible

      Delete
  6. Your kitchen looks very healthy and colourful. The spoon rests (or whatever you use them for) are great and I love that Celestial spice tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kari. Ah another Celestial spice tea fan - yay, i love how the spices get me in the back of the throat something soothing about it - then i hiccup

      Delete
  7. The ceramic dishes are so adorable! Summer is on it's way here in North Queensland and snake beans are on every table - the only thing we can grow in this heat and humidity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcellina. What recipes do you have for snake beans?

      Delete
  8. Shaheen, it's incredible how small this world is. Stubb's BBQ Sauce is made "next door" in Texas -- now I'll have to get some! There are many brands of BBQ sauce on the shelves at the market in this area (mind boggling) -- I love having a referral from a friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim, Wow - yes you do! I do like their liquid smoke, magic for vegetarian and vegan dishes

      Delete
  9. I've used Stubb's sauces on and off over the years. I'll have to try their liquid smoke as well. Those beans look fantastic, what did you end up making with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gretchen. I made a variation of this recipe http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/vegan-sweet-corn-courgette-and-red.html

      I have to say, I was not overly impressed by the taste of the snake beans, they look far more impressive than they taste.

      Delete
  10. i have seen recipes for Thai curries with snake beans but that's about it. love your ceramic dishes. i think they would be fab as spoon rests or for holding little bites. beetroot tea sounds really amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry, I think that is what I will do with it next time as it wasn't overly tasty the way I made it this time round. I recommend the Beet Tea if you ever get to find it

      Delete
  11. You have lots of amazing goodies this month Shaheen. I always try to eat one meatless meal a week and seeing your dishes and ingredients I can maybe add them into my meals. I especially love the sound of your sea vegetable burgers. See you next month for IMK x
    https://missfoodfairy.com/2016/11/04/in-my-kitchen-november-2016/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will be sharing the recipe for the Sea Vegetables Cakes in the next couple of days if you want to come by. They were tasty. See you next month for IMK and thanks for the visit - its truly appreciated

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You