Thursday, 3 November 2016

Avocado and Coconut 'Bacon' Bread Butty

I know this looks like smoked wood chippings, but I assure you this is coconut 'bacon', albeit a little dark from being in the oven a minute too long; or perhaps I was a little heavy handed with the tamari.

Vegan Mofo prompt today is Treat Yourself.   In the last year or so Avocado and Coconut 'Bacon' Bread Butty has become my go to treat.  Do some of you ever have crisp butty, a bread rolled filled with crisps or chips? Yes, No - Is it just me?! Yikes.  Well now you know of my guilty pleasure too.
So what is a bread butty?  A butty is a British term for a stuffed sandwich usually comprising of one slice of bread stuffed with either egg, bacon or sausage and then doused in sauce.  It can also be a bread roll.  The only difference between a English Bread Butty and a Welsh bread Butty is the pronunciation, of course we in Wales say butty buttie byti with a Welsh accent.  

In Wales, the word butty byti also takes on a different meaning, its a South Wales slang for a male friend or acquaintance and often used by men. Sometimes its shortened to 'Butt' yes - really. See the article link at the bottom or this blog post which highlights 29 words that have a totally different meaning when you live in Wales.  It will make you chuckle.  
Well my Welsh vegan Butty is made with smashed lush (another very welsh world) green naturally 'buttery' avocado spread on a crispy bread roll, then sprinkled generously with shards of smokey coconut 'bacon' and then finished off with the other half of the bread roll on top, now all you have to do is bite in.   

My husband doesn't mind coconut 'bacon' as a nibble, but not overly keen on it in bread roll - more for me.    If you want to read more about Why butty rarely leaves Wales  And below are two recipes for Coconut Facon.
Three Seed Coconut Facon Nibbles
Coconut Facon Bacon

And as promised this is the link to 29 words that have a totally different meaning when you live in Wales.  It will make you chuckle.  

10 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to try coconut bacon...Thanks,

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa. You must try it , i do like it but looking forward to other variations - i recently made seitan bacon too, needs tweaking though

      Delete
  2. I love coconut bacon and avocado together - such a delicious combo. And I loved the linguistic tour of Wales too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey, its a good combo for sure. so pleased you enjoyed the linguistic tour too.

      Delete
  3. Yum - I have had avocado with CLTs before (as in coconut bacon, lettuce and tomato). This sounds like a simpler version and every bit as yummy - think maybe I need to get some more coconut flakes in the house! BTW I love the word butty. We have sangers in Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you have, i remember you telling me when i made a variation of your coconut facon. I am hoping to do rice paper facon soon too. Sangers...wow

      Delete
  4. I love little linguistic differences, especially when they lead to confusion and hijinks! Also, I love facon. I've never tried the coconut variety, because it's in such small pieces and I'm really greedy. We recently made rice paper bacon and it was so good. It was a bit of a faff to make, so we've only made it once, but I'd recommend it if you want to try another kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased you enjoyed the linguistic differences, its quite humorous really. Ah i have a rice paper bacon recipe bookmarked and have to make, so look forward to making it thanks for reminding me - i recall someone else saying it was too much faff but good.

      Delete
  5. Ok... I have to admit that I had to google what a crisp butty is ;) It sounds awesome though! I was one of those weird children who would put chips on my hot dog haha.
    My husband would devour this. Me too!
    Ah! The 29 words is hysterical! Especially all things relating to transportation.
    I totally always say hello and thank the bus driver, I do notice most people don't though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know, they word 'butty' does conjure up peach shaped images in some peoples minds, not mine though...being Welsh.
    I am so pleased you lke, some people either like it or are grossed out by the idea.
    Glad I shared the link, it is amusing, if i find others just as good I promise to share. Yes, the transportation thing is interesting.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You