Wednesday, 16 November 2016

Raw Vegan Butternut, Mango, Orange and Marigold Layer Cake

This is  not a cake 'cake' with a sponge, and its not a cheesecake though on first glance that is how it appears.

This is a Butternut, Mango and Orange Marigold Layer Cake,  which I have also pretentiously dubbed as Sunrise Cake.
The bottom is an almond crust, the middle Mango and butternut Squash filling is infused with Mango sweetness and then the topping finished off with a zingy zesty orange  jelly made with agar agar and then finished off with a light scattering of dried marigold flower petals - all depicting colours of the Sunrise. 
I was impressed with myself, though I have to admit the rice paper butterflies actually look a little out of place, here or maybe dare I say it tacky - I did like the scattering of the dried marigold petals.
This is not a very sweet cake, needs a squirt of (soya) cream to cut the richness of the butternut mango filling and the sharp twang from the orange topping.  Its also a very big cake, you can slice it in 8 pieces generously or in 14 slices.  I took some of it into work and shared it with my friends and some colleagues from omnivores to vegans and told them this Butternut, Mango and Orange Marigold Layer Cake was a Raw, vegan and gluten free cake. They were all very impressed and said they felt virtuous and quite light eating it.  



Vegan Mofo theme this week is Complimentary Colours.  In this Butternut, Mango and Orange Marigold Layer Cake aka Sunrise Cake, I exhibit different shades of gold layers from the gold in the almond crust base, to the warming butternut filling and the bright orange topping.  
I am hoping to make this Sunrise Cake again, so will share the recipe  for this Butternut, Mango and Orange Marigold Layer Cake then.  It is vegan, raw and gluten free.  But today I am sharing it with Healthy Vegan Fridays hosted by Rock My Vegan Socks and V Nutrition.

18 comments:

  1. It really does look like a cheesecake! Intriguing. The top layer looks great, I've never made that kind of glossy topping on a cake so I'm always impressed when I see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. The top layer was my favourite, the middle layer got better after day 2 and the base, recipe needs doubling up next time.

      Delete
  2. Oh my. I would love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You would like it for sure

      Delete
  3. The colour alone makes this one really sing - such a pretty cake! I think the sharpness of the agar topping would totally make it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Thank you Joey. It is pretty and the agar topping was proper sharp, the most perfect part of the Sunrise cake, other parts need a little tweaking

      Delete
  4. Beautiful interpretation of the prompt and I like the butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Aw I am pleased you like the flutterbies, I am not quite sure about them

      Delete
  5. this cake looks really beautiful and impressive - I liked the butterflies - not at all tacky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much - nice to hear that you disagree with my tacky descriptive of the butterflies...

      Delete
  6. This looks delicious! Please do share the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Chelsey share the recipe in the very near future. Its just needs a little tweaking, the topping was the most perfect part

      Delete
  7. What an incredible cake Shaheen - such intriguing flavours and ingredients, and so beautifully decorated. I wish I could try a slice through the screen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Kari. I was pleased with it , but its not perfect - the next time i make it it will be spot on and I will share the recipe. I'd happily have shared a piece with you. The cake was made at the w/e and last slice was finished last night. The filling got better too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so beautiful! I was thinking it was sort of a flan cheesecake but whatever it is, it's amazing looking. I'm sure your colleagues loved it. I wish someone at work would bring in something this tasty for me! :)

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for Healthy Vegan Fridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Ellen. Yes, I guess you could describe it as a flan cheezecake. Listen if you were one of my work colleagues, i'd spoil you :)

      Delete
  10. I think when you make a cake as glorious as this, you have pretentious rights!
    It is absolutely gorgeous. And I actually like the paper butterflies, although I may be biased as I'm a huge butterfly fan. I think it gives it a cute and fun accent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your so kind Kimmy. I am a butterfly fan, but these ones did not make my heart flutter to much.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You