Monday, 1 February 2016

Vanilla Banana and Pecan Loaf

I make Banana Loaf all the time, so when I found myself with some very ripe bananas it was a toss between muffins or bread, for some reason Banana Bread won. 

Whilst making this Banana Bread, I was reminded of a time when I took some into work for colleagues to try and someone at work called me over, I thought she was going to ask me for the recipe, instead she asked What are those dark bits in the cake?
Banana I responded without hesitation, yet a little bemused.    
As I was fumbling in my kitchen cupboards looking for some vanilla essence, I remembered still having some Vanilla paste left over from making a vegan Vanilla Coconut Creme Brulee, its so much more powerful in flavour and scent. You get a good waft of it when you bring  to your mouth for tasting, and the pecan nuts added a fabulous buttery crunch.  
Other banana recipes you will find on my blog
Vegan Tiger Cakes
Banana Blondies
Banana and Coconut Flapjacks
Banofee Toffee Curd
Banana Soda Bread Farls

Vanilla Banana and Pecan Loaf
Makes 1 loaf tin or 8 inch round cake
125g butter
125g golden caster sugar
2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon Taylor and Colledge Vanilla Bean Paste
3 medium bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
250g self raising flour
50g Suma Wholefoods whole pecan nuts, keep some back for the topping, roughly chop the rest
Brush a 1lb loaf tin or 1 x 8 inch round cake tin or line with baking parchment paper. 
Melt the butter along with the sugar in a pan.  Remove from the heat too cool down, then transfer to a bowl. 
Add the eggs gradually, beating thoroughly after each addition. 
Add the essence and mashed bananas and beat until combined.
Then carefully fold in the sifted flour and soda alternatively with the milk. 
Then stir in the chopped pecan nuts until all the ingredients are just combined and the mixture is smooth. 
Spoon the batter into the prepared tin; smooth the surface and top with the pecan nuts. 
Bake in oven Gas mark 4/180oc for 40 - 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre in the cake. 
Leave in tin for 30 minutes before turning onto wire rack to cool.
Integrity statement: As a member of the Suma Bloggers Network, I will receive a selection of complimentary products from Suma Wholefoods every two months to use in recipe development and will blog original recipes for the network. 


  1. This looks delicious, I love the addition of the pecans!

    1. Thank you so much Lucy, really appreciate your comment.

  2. I made your tasty special pecan banana bread & love it toasted too, smeared with lavender honey,...really tasty too! 👏👏👏

  3. Hi Shaheen,

    Hope you're well, it's Nicole from Miss Food Fairy, where magical food is made simple.

    I've just come across your Vanilla Banana and Pecan Loaf recipe and was wondering if you'd like to link to this special event I'm having right now. You see, I'm trying to find that perfect slice of banana bread that I can enjoy for breakfast or with my afternoon cup of tea.

    I'm calling it the Banana Bread bake-off and I think your recipe would be the perfect addition.

    Here's the link to add your recipe -

    Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to read my note. I can't wait to see your recipe join Miss Food Fairy's food journey!


  4. Thank you so much for the invitation, I am always happy to participate in foodie events - coming on over.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You