Tuesday, 9 February 2016

Vegan Indian Pasta, Indian Gnocchi, Indian Dumplings

When I say Indian, its more Indian style as I wish to embrace the diversity of all the countries in the Indian Sub-Continent - Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and even the Maldives as they all embrace this way of cooking.  This is also in part to show respect to the many 'Indian' restaurateurs and take-aways  across Europe and the United Kingdom where the owners and workers are often of  Bangladeshi and Pakistani heritage. 

I make Curried Red Lentil Dal all the time, its part of my South Asian heritage, however I made this particular version of Pigeon Pea Soup from Prashad's cookbook a couple of weeks back.   It does just look like a simple bowl of Red Dal, but its rather deceptive in appearance because once you take slurp of this soup you are hit first by the heady perfumed herbyness and then Boom - you taste the amazing spices - its really quite something special for some thing could easily be described as a peasant dish.  
Prashad's Curried Lentils with Indian Pasta actually reminded me of my Dal with Chilli - Coriander Gnocchi that I made many years ago, perhaps somewhere in the back of my psyche this is the reason I wanted to make it and see how it compared.  
So the verdict?!  I have to admit hands down, that Prashad's Curried Dal was far more better, in fact far more superior in taste than mine.  It had more depth of flavour from the infusion of different spices and the tempering  made a huge difference too as an enhancer. 
Normally I would serve an Indian style bowl of Dal  with chappati or roti, but was inspired further to try the accompanying Indian pasta from Prashad's cookbook which I must admit I have adapted just a little.  What's appealing about this Indian Pasta is that you don't even need a pasta machine to make it, just a good old fashioned rolling pin.  

The Indian pasta made a wonderful chewy textual change from chappati or naan bread.  If you do choose to have a go at making this, roll the dough out as thin as you can.  You will need a palette knife to remove them from the surface. I am sharing this with Inheritance Recipes hosted by Pebble Soup and Coffee n Vanilla;and  No Croutons Required hosted by Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen and Tinned Tomatoes. 



Vegan Chilli Coriander Chickpea Pasta
Ingredients
100g chickpea flour, sifted
100g chapatti flour, sifted
1 tablespoon oil
Pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
2 tablespoons freshly minced coriander
Method
In a bowl, sift the flours, stir in the oil, salt, coriander and mix well to combine, then add a tablespoon at a time of water until it becomes dough like.  Knead for a couple of mixture, then divide in two.  
Roll into a ball and roll out on a lightly dusted surface as thin as you can.
Then cut either into long spaghetti style strips, or into bite size square pieces.
Continue this with the other ball until all used.
Add to the simmering soup and cook for 5 minutes or so.
Serve immediately.
Adapted from Prashad: Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Kaushy Patel

11 comments:

  1. YUM! I love Indian foods...
    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how wonderful. Love the idea of chickpea pasta with spices. I was going to have a go at making vegan pasta (without the pasta machine bit) after our cookery class, but this sounds much more interesting and exotic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Choclette, You must make the vegan pasta we made at the VegSoc without the pasta machine. I made some last week, I think you will be impressed when I share it at the weekend. Try this too, textually its very different.

      Delete
  3. This sounds amazing! I fell in love with Indian food when I was a test cook for Vegan Richa's cookbook. I love all the bold flavors. That pasta sounds so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn. The chickpea pasta is very different textually than traditional pasta, but if you like bold flavours then this will not disappoint.

      Delete
  4. I love almost anything from the Indian sub-continent (so long as it's veggie, obviously) so that all works for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your like me, me too - anything as long as it veggie.

      Delete
  5. This sounds perfect as a warmer on this chilly winter's day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for entering it into No Croutons Required. The roundup is live :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting dish. Thank you for sharing with Inheritance Recipes.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You