Saturday, 6 February 2016

Sweet Parsnip, Apple, Berry and Hazelnut Crumble

A couple of weeks back I made a Parsnip Pie with Edible flowers, I have also been tucking into a bowl oParsnip Porridge for those days when I have been home alone for breakfast.

This time I am sharing with you home-made Parsnip, Apple, Blueberry and Hazelnut Crumble. On one of the evenings we had this with custard, on the other it was simply with cream.
What I love about this Root vegetable crumble recipe is its versatility.  You can easily swap some of the ingredients to reflect the seasons or your taste.
In place of the carrots you can have Swede, beetroot or carrots.
The golden caster could be demerara sugar, coconut sugar, honey, maple syrup
Nuts - walnuts, pecan, almonds 
Additional spices, nutmeg, ginger, mixed spices, 
And of course you can veganize it too.
Just experiment. 

I am sharing this with Credit Crunch Munch hosted by Fuss Free Flavours and Fab Food For All and; Food Year Link Up hosted by Charlotte's Kitchen for Bramley Apple Week 8 - 14 February
Sweet Parsnip, Apple, Berry and Hazelnut Crumble
Serves 6
1 large parsnip or 2 medium parsnips, peeled and grated

3 Bramley apples, peeled and sliced thinly
2 teaspoons golden caster sugar
Punnet of Autumn berries: raspberries, blueberries, cranberry or elderberries

For the crumble topping
150g plain four
100g chilled, diced butter

75g golden caster sugar
50g rolled oats
50g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180oc.
Place the parsnips, apples and sugar in a ovenproof dish with 2 tablespoons water. Stir well.
Place in oven for soften for 20 minutes.
In a bowl, rub the butter and flour until it resembles breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar and oats and finally the hazelnuts.  Stir well .
Remove the soft apply parsnips from the oven and stir in the berries.
Then scatter over the hazelnut crumble mix over evenly.
Return to oven and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden and the berries are beginning to burst.
Remove from the oven, allow to cool for a few minute before serving with either cream or custard.


  1. I will try this crumble, looks delicious

    1. Thank you Louise - so hope you like.

  2. You're on a roll with parsnips! I really like the sound of this.

    1. Thanks Kari. I have another Parsnip recipe to share, but will postpone that for the future as today its Marmite Fudge inspired by Johanna.

  3. I'd never have thought of putting parsnip in a sweet crumble but I can really imagine it working. I'm also very intrigued by the sound of your parsnip porridge.

    Thanks for joining in with #FoodYearLinkup I hope to see you there again soon x

    1. Thank you Charlotte. The parsnip porridge was v good too.

  4. IT looks delicious! I would never have thought of putting parsnip in a sweet crumble either but now I've seen it I can imagine it works really well.

    1. Thanks Corina, it really works. Do try it some day.

  5. Hey Shaheen, I made your fantastic original crumble & used home grown parsnips in here,....delicious! Thanks again! đŸ‘đŸ»

  6. What a delicious and different sounding crumble. Thanks for a great twist on a classic for #CreditCrunchMunch:-)


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You