Sunday, 14 February 2016

My Big Fat Persian Kuku

Happy Valentines dear readers.  

I've made Persian Kuku many times before, for those of you unfamiliar with it - click on this link to learn more.   Kuku's are a Persian omelette and what I present to you is not exactly one - though it did start of originally as a Kuku .  I should have made it in a wide frying pan, but I wanted to get all fancy for Valentines day and made it in a silicone heart shaped mould.  
This Persian Kuku puffed up like a aerated blow up bed, then settled down quite calmly.  Once it was unmoulded, the top was a blanket of beetroot red.  
It looked fabulous and sliced wonderfully.  I have to say it tasted pretty marvellous too.  D loved it as it contained two of his favourite vegetables - beetroot and cauliflower.  I'd almost describe it as a cross between Spanish Tortilla and Frittata, but its neither - so I call it a big fat Persian Kuku.  or affectionately Chubby Kuku.

I am sharing this Savoury Cake with Casa Costello for Bake of the WeekBelleau Kitchen for Simply Eggcellent; and Jibber Jabber Uk for Love Cake.

Big Fat Persian style Beetroot - Cauliflower Kuku
Serves 6 - 8
You will need an 8 - 9 inch round heart shaped mould or round cake tin
4 tablespoons oil
1 red onion, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 small cauliflower, steamed and roughly chopped
1 small cooked beetroot, peeled and grated
1 generous teaspoon ground cumin
A pinch of chilli flakes
Salt and pepper to taste

6 eggs,
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon plain flour
120ml milk
120g cheddar cheese, grated
In a wide pan, heat the oil and saute the onion until soft, then stir in the garlic, cauliflower and half of the grated beetroot, cumin, chilli flakes and season to taste. 

Whisk the eggs in a bowl and then stir in the baking powder, flour, milk and cheese.
Pour the egg mixture over the cooled cauliflower beetroot mixture until well combined. 

In the mould scatter over the remaining beetroot, then pour over the eggy beetroot-cauliflower mixture. 
Transfer to the oven and bake for 35 - 45 minutes or until golden.
Check with a skewer, if it comes out clean it is done.
Remove from the oven. 
Allow to cool for a few minutes before turning out of the mould.
Allow to rest for a few minutes before serving with salad. 
Adapted from Food for Friends: Modern Vegetarian Cooking At Home.  


  1. I love how you made it out to be heart-shaped!
    Happy Valentines day. :)<3


    1. Thanks Adi - well it is Valentines weekend, be wrong not to participate :)

  2. That's so beautiful and I adore all the stuff that's gone in it. Such a cakey omelet. I was thinking about my heart shaped silicone cake mould the other day but couldn't find it. I must try harder! Thanks for linking to Simply Eggcellent xx

    1. Thank you Dom, yes - a cakey omelet is perhaps the best way to describe this. I hope you find a heart shaped silicone cake mould, I can't remember where I bought mine, I've had it for years when I lived in Scotland.

  3. it looks lovely = perfect for Valentines DAy

  4. Wow this is just beautiful - The natural vibrant colour of the beetroot is amazing isn't it? Thanks so much for joining in with #Bakeoftheweek. New roundup now open and your recipe is the featured Bake of the Week! x

    1. Thank you so so much for featuring my recipe. I am so delighted you like this, I hope to share something soon for March.

  5. What a lovely savoury twist on a cake. All full of such flavoursome ingredients.

    1. Thank you. It was lovely, hope to make another variation.

  6. LOVE this Shaheen. It looks beautiful and sounds delicious x

    1. Thank you so much Kate. It was surprisingly delicious,


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You