Wednesday, 3 February 2016

Parsnip Porridge and Green Granola In My Kitchen

I picked up these cute little tomato and apple oven mitts a few weeks back from a charity shop.  I don't know if I will ever use them, as they are quite small.
Last month I had a few days off from work as I have loads of annual leave to take by March.  So I have been home alone most of last week, indulging in breakfast still in my PJs, but no vegetarian fry-ups.  Fry up are kept for weekends when I am with my husband.  No for me, its been cereal. 



The first is Green Granola made with spirulina and coconut.  I have been meaning to make my own as I had been given a large packet of spirulina a couple of years back still waiting to be experimented with. But making my own Green Goddess Granola is still on the back burner as I was seduced by this packet.
The other cereal which I did actually make was Parsnip Porridge doused generously with Goji Berry Powder and Seed Trail Mix.  It was rather splendid actually. The natural sweetness from the parsnips came through wonderfully.  
The Raw Chocolate Goji Berry Powder  has been used for a couple of dishes, the Parsnip Porridge above, but also for a refreshing drink.  I don't recall ever having had Sweet Apricot kernels let alone ones covered in chocolate - so can't wait to try these below.
I have never ever made Rocky Road Bars.  Why?! you ask, they are so darn easy.  The reason, I would often struggle to find vegetarian marshmallows, and when I did stumble upon them they were often very expensive.  Last year, I actually bought a bag of imported marshmallows from the States to go with my hot chocolate, but they were a proper treat.  

Anyway, I picked up these Rocky Road Bars that were suitable for vegetarians. These bars were actually okay, a little crumbly maybe - the only thing that let them down a little was the marshmallow, which was the reason I bought them for.  Now I am determined to make my own some day to see how they compare.    
I made Vanilla Banana and Pecan Bread at the weekend and have been taking a slice into work for breakfast to replace eating a banana instead, feels so good to eat cake for breakfast.  
Last month, I went to The Vegetarian Society's Cookery School in Cheshire which I have still to write about. I picked up some new recipes, tips and techniques for cooking, but also came back home with a bag of vegetarian and vegan goodies (see below)
I am sharing this post with  Maureen of The Orgasmic Chef. who is hosting s In My Kitchenon behalf of Celia from Fig and Lime Cordial.   

21 comments:

  1. Parsnip porridge makes vegetarianism sound like quite a chore, but you sound as if you like it fine.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mae - No hardship at all, I am just very experimental with my cooking and baking, I get bored easy with the same o same o.

      Delete
  2. plenty of challenges for you!
    best of luck with the spirulina...lovely stuff, but it does get everywhere and colour everything!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks gz, but you know i like them. Yeah, I agree I made some spirulina balls last year for St Patricks day.

      Delete
  3. Lots of lovely bits and pieces shaheen. I know what you mean about rocky road and expensive marshmallows - I don't make it often for the same reason. Shame about the marshmallows in the one you tried. Did you enjoy the green goddees granola - sounds fascinating. And your porridge is so pretty. So is the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, have so much more, but never get round to taking pics of them. The granola was okay. The porridge was yummy. I have also made Parsnip Crumble, hope to share in the next few days.

      Delete
  4. I've been the same; pajamas and cereal. Hahaha
    Those rocky road bars looks sooo good! And the mittens can be great wall decorations in the kitchen. :)

    VEGETARIAN COURTESYFACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adi :)
      Yes, good idea for the mittens, I think they will be mostly for cosmetic decorative use.

      Delete
  5. We grew a lot of pa snips to his yea; that person fridge sounds brillian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yogi, your comment hasn't come out clear, perhaps its because predict text has been used. If I am reading right, it should read parsnip porridge, not person fridge - so funny. Hope your well.

      Delete
  6. So many interesting things in your kitchen. I'm intrigued by your parsnip porridge & the pot holders are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicki, the parsnip porridge was yummy. I have also made some Parsnip Crumble, delicious - really.

      Delete
  7. The parsnip porridge sounds lovely. The banana bread also looks delicious and like the sound of the granola.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gretchen, l've still to try the green granola. I will post the recipe for the Parsnip porridge soon.

      Delete
  8. I'm always on the lookout for the perfect banana bread. I've tried so many over the past few years but I still can't get the flavour I'm looking for. Your pecan vanilla banana bread looks delicious - I've pinned it for my next round of over ripe bananas. Lovely meeting you for #IMK x http://missfoodfairy.com/2016/02/09/in-my-kitchen-february-2016/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Food Fairy, This is my go to banana bread recipe. Only word of advice, towards the end be careful with the milk, you may not need all of it - just enough to loosen the flour mixture. Sometimes I don't add it at all, as the bananas have moistened the flour enough. Happy Baking.

      Delete
  9. home made marshmallow is so much better than bought. no comparison:) parsnip prridge sounds...interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm vegetarian so can't use gelatine in home-made marshmallows sadly.

      Delete
    2. there are vegan type setting agents like agar agar...worth a try:)

      Delete
  10. Your parsnip porridge and banana bread look tasty! Cute potholders, and here is a link to a reliable vegan marshmallow site. They use a carrageenan mix instead of gelatin, I've heard good things, might be worth a shot. :)
    http://veganmarshmallows.blogspot.com/2009/04/vegan-marshmallow-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily. Thank you for the link. i have bought a vegan marshmallow mixture to make too, just havent got round to making it yet. off to check out the site and will swing by later too.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You