Tuesday, 23 February 2016

Velvet Green Spirulina Flapjacks

Anyone who has used spirulina will know why I describe it as velvet.  The powdered form is textually very velvety.  Anyway, I only made these velvet green Spirulina Flapjacks as I was wishing to use up my very large packet of Spirulina and the one thing I was adamant I would not make was another darn groovy green Smoothie.  Blogosphere and cookbooks gearing towards healthy eating are laden with Spirulina Smoothie recipes, so I gave that a deliberate miss and went for something completely different.

I have plans on making a Green Goddess Granola, but that is on the back burner for other far more creative greeny bites. 
Unlike other spirulina recipes that are super duper healthy: no butter, no sugar - this flapjack is made with both butter and sugar.  I have shared a link below of a healthier, vegan and raw version below, if you want to check it out.  Surprisingly, I actually liked these, but I don't often make the same flapjack recipe twice - who knows... 

The distinct spirulina flavour does come through, but not too strongly.  D didn't even notice it unique flavour until day two.  His excuse for the first day is that he must have been very hungry.   
I know the Autumn Forest green photograph I share here, does not sell it much but sometimes its not about the looks, but the flavour; and I will be making these again, as D has asked for them again - I wonder if I can make the green even bold next time round.


Spirulina and Three Seed Flapjacks
Makes 8 - 12
Ingredients
125g butter
100g caster sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
260g rolled oats
1 tablespoons spirulina powder  
50g seeds, I used a mixture of sunflower, pumpkin and pine seeds 
Method
In a pot, melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup, then remove from the heat and stir in the rolled oats, spirulina and seeds until well combined.
Tip into a baking tin lined with non-stick parchment or silicon paper.
Smooth the oat mixture into the tin, pressing down with the back of a wooden spoon.
Bake in the oven 180oc/Gas Mark 4 for 20 minutes.  
Score whilst still warm.
Allow to cool, before removing from the tin. 
Here is a link to a healthier, vegan and raw version.

6 comments:

  1. looks interesting..since going to New Zealand we've kept on using spirulina...mainly in smoothies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks gz.
      Smoothies is the rage, but I want to try different recipes with spirulina.

      Delete
  2. Oh my Shaheen, I'm not sure about this one, lol...I guess I should try spirulina before judging:) It isn't so much the looks, just a new ingredient I have never tried. Perhaps, it's time I do, Shaheen. I'll reserve my thoughts until I can be more fair:)

    Thank you so much for sharing, Shaheen...the fact that D enjoyed them sounds promising:)

    P.S. Thank you for your comment, of course I don't mind one bit. I am flattered:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand Louise, its an acquired taste, I am not that mad about it, but I don't dislike it plus I got loads still to go through and I hate waste, so it will all go.
      Thanks as well for the PS, I will be linking the recipe in the next couple of days.

      Delete
  3. Hi Shaheen, Well, this certainly looks interesting! You aren't really "selling" it very well though! It sounds healthy, and I do love flapjacks .... will have to look for Spirulina next time I am shopping! I love to see what you are cooking ... have I missed the stew recipe?
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thank you. I know I am terrible, but..truth is...its not the prettiest is it, really - though it tastes fine. No, I haven't posted the Welsh Stew yet, hope to do so in the next few days.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You