Friday, 19 February 2016

Five Welsh Vegetarian Leek Recipes

Many of you came by last week through Amy at Love Made My Home were really kind.  You seemed to have enjoyed my Five Welsh Castle posts, so in the same vain I thought I would share five of my favourite Welsh leek recipes with you. The Leek - as many of you will know is the national emblem of Wales alongside the daffodil and the roaring glorious red dragon.  

This short blog post is also a nod towards St David's Day that will shortly be here and my Welsh roots. Hope some of these Welsh Leek recipes inspire you to celebrate St David's Day whether your Welsh or not. 
Simple, but this Leek and Potato Soup with Chilli aka Welsh Dragon Soup remains one of my firm favourites.  
I created theseWelsh Leek, Caerphilly Cheese and Laverbread Burgers when I lived in Scotland and my lovely nephew came up to see me, they were a super success. 
You will find lots of versions of Red Dragon Pie, thisFiery Red Dragon Pie is mine.
Welsh Haggis Lasagne - Yes, the Welsh also have haggis!  
Not the prettiest, but these deep fried Welsh Leek and Caerphilly Cheese Pakoras aka Bhaji's are very tasty

So do you like leeks? Do you have any Welsh leek recipes to share. Do you celebrate St David's Day where you are? 

14 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a post and funnily enough we had potato and keek soup last night. A Delia recipe. Love the Welsh dragon biscuit cutter. Superb

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely collection of veggie leek recipes. I do like Wales a lot and should go and visit again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to visit Wales in the not too distant future.

      Delete
  3. Love this little round up - your welsh recipes are always interesting - but I had never heard that the welsh also have haggis - would love to hear more about this - or maybe I have missed a post about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, apparently so - but its the faggots that are the haggis -I wrote a little about Welsh Haggis in the Welsh Haggis lasagne recipe, but not much - may have to do a post of its own, an blog post idea for St Davids Day perhaps.

      Delete
  4. I love leeks and all of your recipes sound delicious!! Lots of inspiration for St David's Day meals which is great isn't it and a lovely follow on from the castles! Thank you so much for joining in the anniversary of Five On Friday, I really do appreciate it so much! Have a good weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy, I do hope one day to be more organised, but I am thankful that you are happy that I join in with my fives. Thank you and once again, Happy Anniversary.

      Delete
  5. I love your varied recipes Shaheen! Your bhajis look especially delicious! We had leeks in a vegetable stew this week. Sorry no Welsh leek recipes to share.

    Hope you are having a great weekend!

    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Barbara.
      No worry - leeks in a vegetable stew ah...you will have to come back for my Welsh Stew made with leeks in a few days time. Hope its not too wet where you are. x

      Delete
  6. All of the recipes you shared look absolutely delicious! I found the most beautiful leeks last fall while in Turkey and made a leek and potato soup. I will try out some of your recipes. Thank you for sharing, Pat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. I never seem to associate leeks coming from Turkey, but why not?! I am making a Welsh Stew with Leeks and dumplings soon in readiness for St David's Day, hope you will come by then to have a nosy. Take care :)

      Delete
  7. These recipes all look delicious! I'll have to check out that red dragon pie. We don't celebrate St David's Day in Canada. I have relatives living in Wales and have been there to visit them :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to make your acquaintance Wendy. There must be a small corner of Canada that celebrates St David's Day, must be a Welsh community there somewhere seek and ye shall find, Thank you for your comment,

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You