Sunday, 21 February 2016

Sunday Photo and Sunday Snap: Horns

I am not going to assign a gender on this androgynous stone carved statue, but it is rather beautiful and quite solemn in it own way.  

I've been wanting to share this picture a while ago as it made me smile.  Someone had yarn bombed it, or at least lovingly adorned them a colourful crochet scarf  to stay warm and a pair of spectacles to ignite a little sunshine and humour into what I remember was a blustery grey day. It does certainly bring a smile to your face as well as a little magic into your life, well I think so. 
We actually took this picture some time last year or maybe even a year before that, when we visited an area of Newport called Caerleon.  I will share more pictures of it tomorrow, but this is my contribution for Sunday Snap hosted by JibberJabber UK for Sunday Snap; and My Sunday Photo hosted by One Dad 3 Girls; and Karen at My Little Home and Garden for Sunlit Sunday. If anyone knows any more about the significance of horns and the story behind this stone carved character, I'd love to know.

I have two other similar yarnbombed pictured that may make you smile.  Click here to see Keeping Monkey Warm and Cardiff Yarn Bombing People Like Us.

19 comments:

  1. What a unique looking statue, a great find

    Thank you for linking up

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems there's an arts festival in Caerleon each year so I don't know if the statue part of that one year or if the added accessories were inspired by the arts festival. Either way it's a great example of public art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there is - not that I have been there for that. The statue is permanent as we saw it again at a different time (see todays blog post).

      Delete
  3. Oh this has made me smile. What brilliant yarn bombing and the glasses are a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol i just love it. I think it definitely adds to the statue's character lol. Xx #mysundayphoto

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like someone was very considerate to protect Mr Tumnus from the cold :) #MySundayPhoto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very considerate indeed, does add to the charm,

      Delete
  6. Yarn bombing! That makes me smile. Someone here in the Seattle area wrapped yarn around a row of trees downtown making them look like they had stockings on...it was fun to see. Hope you have a sunlit week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen. Yarn bombing does brighten up a dull place and bring smiles to faces,

      Delete
  7. Quirky in a cool way! #mysundayphoto

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love this! so funny and cute. what a fab little faun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an interesting shot...how great that it was yarn bombed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This statue did make me smile, with the added glasses and all the cheery colourful bits added. What fun!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You